How do you keep your exotic species warm?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrillhouse

Reaction score
My ghosts had a good run the eight months I had them, and I want to try a more exotic species, but they all seem to desire a much higher temperature. I was looking at something like a tiffany desk lamp, or banker style lamp. Would those generate enough heat to keep them comfortable? What do you guys use?

I like to use the office in our home as the bug room, the computers generate a good amount of heat, plus I leave the window blinds open so when the sun comes out it gets just a bit warmer. I'm keeping Rhombodera Basalis, Decimiana Bolivari, Phyllocrania Paradoxa, Parasphendale sp, Taumantis Sigiana, Sphodromantis Lineola, Hierodula Vitrea, Psychomantis Malayensis, Creobroter Pictipennis, and a few others and they're all doing great! It stays around 73-75 in here and I've had no problems. 

I use two All Living Things heat lamps with a 60 watt bulb, one for my crickets and one for my chinese mantids. Although it's not a requirement for my mantids it seems they're happy to have some heat on them. It gets fairly warm, I just hang it a few inches on top of the tank.

I like to use the office in our home as the bug room, the computers generate a good amount of heat, plus I leave the window blinds open so when the sun comes out it gets just a bit warmer. I'm keeping Rhombodera Basalis, Decimiana Bolivari, Phyllocrania Paradoxa, Parasphendale sp, Taumantis Sigiana, Sphodromantis Lineola, Hierodula Vitrea, Psychomantis Malayensis, Creobroter Pictipennis, and a few others and they're all doing great! It stays around 73-75 in here and I've had no problems. 

I keep mine warm by having a heating lamp over them! It's a reptile heating lamp I got on eBay for like 6 bucks. And where'd you get your psychomantis? Wow! 

I keep mine warm by having a heating lamp over them! It's a reptile heating lamp I got on eBay for like 6 bucks. And where'd you get your psychomantis? Wow! 
Is the heat lamp just a screw in replacement bulb or the complete lamp.? .... S

Depends how many u got, if not many, u can just buy a 40watt bulb (the one that exudes heat) and some kind of lamp (I got like a cheap one that u can clamp on like a shelf or something). Just remember to mist more often if they're under the lamp.

You don't need to keep it warm they do just fine at room temp. I kept orchids this way and they both grew to adults fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts