How do you know if a mantis is dying?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Reaction score
Ive had my orchid mantis for awhile, and she has been a healthy adult, albeit a time where she didnt eat but has been resuming normally since, I noticed her hanging lifelessly from one foot off the top, then she fell luckily onto the flower below her, she wasnt moving, at all, I thought she was dead so I poked at her leg and she jumped and is crawling a bit now, though slower than usual, she seems well fed, behavior has been normal lately, food has been the same, has had enough water. Any suggestions? Is she nearing the end? She has been an adult for some time now. I dont see any physical injury on her either. Thanks.

@Patchouli Those are both signs she is nearing her end, slower and barely hanging. The only suggestion is to feed/mist her as needed as you have, but if it is her time to pass on there is nothing that can be done sorry to say.

I figured thats what is was, thanks for the response. Hopefully her last days are as good as they can be

With some of my pets -- particularly my very communicative T. sinesis, I could tell when they were suffering at the end (some would last well over a year). At that point I'd put them in the freezer for a quick departure.  :(

I was considering that if she isnt able to at least act somewhat normally, its of course a hard choice to make but anything I can do to make her suffer less, she is such a nice mantis

@Patchouli that's too bad, I have three adults right now, two of which I have raised from tiny L2's to adulthood, one I got as a subadult. Being my first batch of mantids that I got I know it'll be sad losing them. You gave your little bug a great life, your concern shows it. :(

So far she almost seems to be back to normal? Im not gonna hold my breath on it but she has been sitting comfortably and chasing flies, just took down a big and and was able to eat it upside down, but I still am quite worried

So far she almost seems to be back to normal? Im not gonna hold my breath on it but she has been sitting comfortably and chasing flies, just took down a big and and was able to eat it upside down, but I still am quite worried
Sometimes they return to normal for the last 24 hours or so before the end, many living creatures do that to some degree including humans. Although, it is possible she was ill and recovered from it too. Only time will tell, and just do the best you can.

I see, that makes sense, thanks for the responses, ill keep you posted
Your welcome, and thanks. When I first saw the post here I expected the worst so I'm glad to see she is still going. I got my fingers crossed it was simply a illness. :)

I know everyone's time comes eventually, but it of course is always better if they can stay around longer when they are doing well. ;)

Latest posts