How I caught / raised flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImTheBugFreak

Reaction score
I put cat food and lunch meat ( Ham ) in a modified 2 liter bottle and set it outside on top of my table in the shade. I left it there for about 3 days and I went outside to check on it and all the fly's had drowned in the mush! I was upset and just left it alone hoping more fly's would venture in and tomorrow I would get them out before they drowned too! Come tomorrow I found these guys crawling / floating around in the mush and up the side of the 2 liter! It pretty much freaked me out and I almost threw it in a fire LOL! But then I thought it must be the begging stages of fly's? So I did some research and I found out I was right its fly larva. I then read and understood they needed to be fattened up and then lay out to dry to go into their next phase. I now have most of them in their pupae stage and am waiting for them to hatch and relay their eggs and then feed them to my mantids! I now have an endless supply of flies :) I have to admit before I did this I thought it was going to be a lot harder to get a fly culture started but now that I have done it, its actually not that hard.

The fly larva inside the modified 2 liter bottle

DSCN0114.jpg

DSCN0113.jpg

The pupae stage of the flies

DSCN0130.jpg

LOL! I use my cat's dry dung and misted bit with water, i'd get over 50 blue bottle flies!! I know its gross but i have 9 mantis to feed lolol

LOL! I use my cat's dry dung and misted bit with water, i'd get over 50 blue bottle flies!! I know its gross but i have 9 mantis to feed lolol
O cool! I have cats. Can I do that even with the poo having kitty litter all over it?

Thanks, K.J.

try removing the litter with water as most of them absorb the smell...atleast flies aren't so fussy :lol:
haha! cool I'm going to go do that now and then head out to the nature park to find some cool insects be back later with some pics ^.^

Latest posts