How I got into mantises +The Box Terror (my short story)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrayingMantisPets

Reaction score
It all started when my sisters ex-boyfriend was over at the house. We were then talking and he was telling me how he was into Kung fu. He then showed me the mantis fighting technique. I thought it looked so funny I showed it to some of my friends at school. About a week later one of my friend told me I should get a mantis. I laughed! Why would I get a mantis! Of course when I got home I was searching everywhere " praying mantises for sale" I found nothing. Weeks later I Finally found on ebay a chineese mantis Ootheca for sale. I basically fell down in excitement. I bought the ooth in a heart beat! Once I received the Ootheca I glued it to the roof of an old container. I waited and waited for a very long time. My father told me that the ooth might be a dud. I was about to throw it away but I didn't. The next day I woke up to my dad shaking me like crazy and my dad said guess what happened. I got up so fast and peeked into the container and found this

The photo is bad but there was so many mantises I was shocked! I kept a few. Released them in my garden and gave some to my friends. Only one out of ten made it to adult hood alive. Months later he passed away. I then for months I was researching exotic mantises and found nothing. Then I stumbled on bugsincyberspace.com and saw a spiny flower mantis for sale. Weeks late budwings, ghosts, dead leaf mantises were all at my door step! I the. Found the mantid forum and finally here I am today!

Thank you everyone for making me the person I am today! :D

The box story:

So when I was first beginning to sell mantises I bought some boxes off of the usps website. I ordered 30 boxes. About a week later I just got home from school and I heard a beeping noise. I looked out my window and saw a usps truck in front of my house. Using a forklift they managed to drop Dow a giant package! They the somehow dropped the giant package by my door step. I looked at the label and it said 750 boxes. I quickly went onto the usps website and it said 1 pack of 25 boxes! My luck! :p

Haha, that's a great story!

What did you end up doing with all of the boxes?
Well they wouldn't take the boxes back so I was stuck with them. I split them up and gave it to some friends. I have no idea what they did with them but I still kept about 5 packs (25 in each).

Too funny... good story.. Did your sisters ex-boyfriend end up taking a mantis to practice his kung fu moves? Was he even close to the moves the mantis made?

Latest posts