How i pack my parcel

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you buy/get your boxes from? i had a look on the internet and they're really expensive!
The US postal service has free boxes to use with Priority or Express mail. You can order them on their website here:

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...amp;WT.ac=13354

I realize you are in the UK, and therefore this wouldn't be an option for you. Just thought I'd let those in the US who didn't already know about it. ;) Maybe the UK has a similar service?

Otherwise, you can save appropriate sized and strength boxes that you get when you receive things in the mail. Or ask your local grocery store, liquor store, etc. They may have good boxes to use that they just throw in the recycle bin.

Do you ever pack a lunch for them (ship feeders in containers with them)?

For larger nymphs and adults... shouldnt one cages with ventalation? Like with screen door material glued onto a small square? Please answer...

This may be an old thread, but it will always be very helpfull to newbies like me.

I think nearly everyone who breeds has picked up some tips from this.

One of the most usefull threads on this forum :)

This is really helpful. I don't have anything to ship right now, but I may in the future. I have a few questions.

1. - How many Oz. are the small deli cups

2. - Do you need to moisten the paper towels at all if you are shipping from or to a dry area (or in the middle of summer)?

3. - Would a cold pack be needed if shipped in summer?

This is really helpful. I don't have anything to ship right now, but I may in the future. I have a few questions.

1. - How many Oz. are the small deli cups

2. - Do you need to moisten the paper towels at all if you are shipping from or to a dry area (or in the middle of summer)?

3. - Would a cold pack be needed if shipped in summer?
Sorry for not paying more attention on this thread.

1. The deli cup is only 2 oz, good for shipment for early stage/small mantis.

2. If it only takes a day or two on shipping, misting is not necessary. As long as the mantis is well fed it won't dehydrate.

3. If temp goes beyond 90F cold pack will help.

USPS boxes are actually for free as long as you use their priority service which most of us do. You can order them online, no shipping cost either, and choose whatever size you want.

Seems this thread has fallen victim to the recent issues with photo hosting :(

@yen_saw I don't suppose you still have these images saved somewhere to re-post them at some point?

Or maybe some other folks who have experience packing and mailing mantids could put up some pics of their approach? 

It's definitely a super useful topic and I would love to be able to read through with the pics :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever see larger mantids wrapped in damp paper-towel and put in a vial? Like it’s done with spiders.
Really?

I do all my adult ships like Yen did when he sent me a male mega: Low in height, wide enough it could reposition, but not large enough so as to minimize mechanical impulse and thus momentum.

Thats probably what you're getting at.

But a trapped nymph often dies. I wonder how a trapped adult would fare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts