How important is experience?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todomantis

Reaction score
My very first and only mantis, a male hierodula venosa, just reached adulthood this week so I'm pretty much still a novice mantis keeper at this point. However, I'm looking to start raising more mantises ASAP because I really enjoyed raising Mr. Miyagi (my hierodula venosa). So my question is do I need more experience before I acquire other species such as a plistospilota guineensis (mega mantis) or idolomantis diabolica (devil's fower). If so, than what are some other good novice species?🙂

Really depends on your devotion. I wouldn’t jump to Idolomantis Diabolica, but for some slightly harder mantids I suggest Hymenopus Coronatus or Spiny Flower.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Hymenopus Coronatus was one of the hardest species to keep though??
Not nearly as difficult as a devil's flower! Those are quite difficult, from what I've read. 

I wouldnt call Orchids easy, but they aren't as difficult as some people make them out to be. They require higher humidity, high ventilation, and warmer temps since they are a tropical species. Stale air, aka too high of humidity without ventilation, will kill them. 

I would actually recommend to get Ghosts. They don't really need any special care, are easy to keep, and are very rewarding. So much personality! You can keep them communally, too. 

Not nearly as difficult as a devil's flower! Those are quite difficult, from what I've read. 

I wouldnt call Orchids easy, but they aren't as difficult as some people make them out to be. They require higher humidity, high ventilation, and warmer temps since they are a tropical species. Stale air, aka too high of humidity without ventilation, will kill them. 

I would actually recommend to get Ghosts. They don't really need any special care, are easy to keep, and are very rewarding. So much personality! You can keep them communally, too. 
I thought about ghosts, but I think I'm more drawn to larger species because I really enjoy showing my mantis off to everyone who comes over. Orchid mantises would be pretty neat to show off that pink color though too i suppose😅. Are there any other large, hardy, novice species? (preferably something colorful and/or aesthetically pleasing)

I read that idolos are very sensitive to humidity. Too much you kill em. Too little their legs / tarsi split open and you kill em. Hard mesh, they injure their tarsi and you kill em. 

Orin McMonigles 'Keeping the Praying Mantis' is an amazing book for information. 

I agree with Cole 78. Hierodula sp are one of the best. 

Sphodromantis sp. also make great starters. They are easy to handle and care for... and have a "friendly" disposition. Chinese mantids are also great, but they do tend to occasionally have molting issues. 

I almost considered devil flowers, but I was concerned about their high temp requirements. 

I have heard that Idolos are not a good beginner species, and I believe it! Orchids are fairly easy, but I would definitely recommend ghosts for you. The adult females especially are easy and awesome to show off and they are beautiful. 

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts