How long can a mantis really live for?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL (Little Old Lady) is still hanging around. Her leg seems to have righted itself, but still having very little to do with eating. No molt as of yet, either. What is the length of time, usually, between molts? I am puzzled and was not expecting her to be around this long after her "accident". I'll keep providing care, but I have no idea what else to do.

What do you have on the top for her to cling from?

Having some sort of webby fabric (such as the netting from some wash-cloths, that's what I use anyway... the netting, cut from the washcloths, then my mom yells at me, hahaha, jk I just got them from a dollar store) on top is one idea.

Anything that can be better than a paper towel would do. D. lobata, from my experience, have strong, sticky feet. The 5th instar babies I have, in some of their cages there is still a leg from their molt that is still attached to the top. The ones I raised last year never needed anything more than paper towel, but did need quite a bit of room.

On the complete opposite side of things, the Violin mantis I have was a pain in the butt when she had to molt to adult. Two of her legs couldn't even stick to anything, and her two other legs could barely stay on a branch. I ended up using scotch tape and then held two of her feet in place with my fingers for a good half-hour to make sure she molted alright. She is doing well and is quite strong, very beautiful mantis too... so if it must come to doing this for LOL, I am sure it will be worth it. If it doesn't work, at least you tried. (Believe me, this wasn't the first time I had to tape a mantises feet to prevent a fall, but this was the first time it actually worked)

Try to put her in a container with a mesh top, but also less ventilation so humidity is a bit higher. That may help.

My dead leaf mantis Gnarles laid her ooth. It's unfertilized, and it's also the nastiest thing I have ever seen. Increasing the humidity seemed to help though. She certainly seems to be glad to be rid of it too!

LOL ! My 1st Mio mantis that I got from my 1st order from MantisPlace as a random suprise mantis ! She lived to lay 10+ ooths and lived for about 1year and 6months! So that would actualy be this month last year when she finaly died. She really aged... she looked all dry and turned a smokey color b4 finally turning black in alot of areas then finally her head started to turn black and she was dead the next day. She lived in butterfly cage and had alot of sunlight. She had a set up in the living room window. I gave her a random diet, flies, moths, crickets, roaches, ect... and powdered the feeders with "homebrew". I think i still have a pic of her and her sister eating a black widow together...

Have you heard about "calorie restriction" that extends lifespan?Seems to work well with insects.