How long can I diapause my ooths?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starving Always

Reaction score
I just got in 5 wild caught Chinese oothecas. I'm planning on taking 2 out in the summer or spring, but how long should the others stay in the fridge? I've looked back at the archives and no one mentioned the maximum length of a diapause, only that diapause isn't necessary. I plan to keep the oothecas in the fridge for at least 2-4 months. 

Where I live 5 months diapause happens naturally (at least without El Nino weather). It's said they can typically go about 3-4 months beyond natural diapause before going bad. So that would put it somewhere around 8 to 9 months. I would error on the side of safety and say about 7 months to ensure they are still good.

My current batch I have been dipausing have been in there since September 29th and afterwards as they were laid (about 5 months now).

Where I live 5 months diapause happens naturally (at least without El Nino weather). It's said they can typically go about 3-4 months beyond natural diapause before going bad. So that would put it somewhere around 8 to 9 months. I would error on the side of safety and say about 7 months to ensure they are still good.

My current batch I have been dipausing have been in there since September 29th and afterwards as they were laid (about 5 months now).
Woah, really? Thanks for the input!! 

Woah, really? Thanks for the input!! 
Indeed, but that is just for native/naturalized species (Tenodera sinensis, Stagmomantis carolina, Mantis religiosa come to mind) in the northern states as they diapause naturally. Other species can't diapause and any attempt will kill the eggs (such as Phyllocrania paradoxa, Pnigomantis medioconstricta, Polyspilota griffinii, etc).

Your welcome, and best of luck to you. Some ootheca found in the wild are infertile, just like in captivity, not all females mate or are infertile for other reasons - so it can be a gamble by itself. ;)

Latest posts