How long can they go without eating before a molt?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyes

Reaction score
I have three Chinese that are/were about to molt to adult. They all stopped eating about the same time. One molted after about 2 days but the other two still haven't molted and it has been like 6 or 7 days!

I have never had them take this long to do a molt. A few times I have tried giving food just to make sure but they refuse it. I mist with water every once in a while, I don't know if they're drinking but I haven't seen it. I'm worried. :unsure:

Give it a little more time, they know what to do. Just make sure to provide humidity/water and wait it out.

Yeah, I don't know. I mean they don't look like they're about to die or anything, still pretty fat. It just seems so long.

Do they not molt if they're threatened by nearby mantids? Maybe I need to move the cages farther apart.

Just needs time. Sounds like you're doing the right thing so just wait.

Well they finally molted at the same time last night. Apparently these are both males. At sub-adult the males were almost the same size as the female so I guess they were way too big to molt to adult and had to wait a long time to shrink. As adults the males really aren't any bigger than they were before.

Weird, I would have thought a bigger sub-adult would make a bigger adult but there must be some sort of limit.

i'm having the same issue with my ghosts.not eating and not molting. the male hasn't eaten in days and his abdomen looks thin.

Latest posts