How long do I have to get fruit flies?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief Tom

Reaction score
Mine just hatched today. I have fruit fly traps set, but I don't know how long it will take to catch a good number of them. I have caught a few fruit flies and put them in there, but I got around 50 nymphs in there. I let most of them go as it's the proper time of year for them to survive where I live. I really would like to keep a few of them.

You should have had fruit fly cultures going long before the nymphs arrived. Forget trying to catch your own. Cultures can be had for like $5.

All u can do now is try to get as many around a homemade culture u can., use a mayo jar or something like, leave it open or put some small holes in the lid and put some mushy banana or some potato mixture with some fruit juice in it and the flies will come and start laying in it, and soon u will have a handful.

Since the mantis have hatched, the best way is to get the producing ff culture from nearby PetCo or Petsmart. Or order on-line via express or priority mail. New born mantis do alright without food for 2 days (hatchling are more interested in getting away finding a good spot and hide rather than finding food soon after hatching). Give the hatchling some water by misting and put them in a cage with plenty of leaves to hide, so they don't stress up swarm together in one small area. But as Rick said it is better to have the culture in advance. All the best with your mantis.

Thanks Yen Saw. I've got 10 of them left (I've let most of them go) and have gotten them plenty of ###### flies for them after I set some banana and apple traps, but now for some reason there has been a lull in ###### flies. I expect they'll be along again soon enough before they start eating each other.

Latest posts