How long does it take for a ghost mantis to enclose after a molt to adulthood?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratmosphere

Reaction score
How long does it take for a ghost mantis to enclose its wings? I saw that it molted when I came home at 5:50 pm. The wings still aren't in yet and it's 11:08 pm. 

@Ratmosphere hmm, they should've dried to their natural position by now. It might just have curled inner wings, which is what my Rhombodera has, the outer wings look normal, while the inner wings look furled and fluffy. A picture will help, but if the rest of him is ok then it shouldn't affect his health. Mine mated just fine with his curled wings. He might keep flapping his wings trying to correct it, but if it's dried then there's nothing it can do. It'll get used to it. Hope that helps! 

FullSizeRender.jpg

@crabbypatty+ @Ratmosphere Thanks for the answer and question. My first of five females molted to adult with ruffled wings. With only one male I was concerned about breeding her. After a few of the other females are mated I will try her for breeding. Figured this subject might come up before I needed it.

Is this a common problem? Could it be prevented? I feel like a bad owner. I did everything I could. Any idea why her outer wings are a brownish color while the rest of her body is green? 

@Ratmosphere don't feel bad, it just happens sometimes. My two Rhombodera are kept the same way and one molted with curled wings and the other molted normally. Ghosts normally vary in colors, I've seen many that are brown and green at the same time, so your ghost is just fine. As long as it's healthy and happy, that's all that matters :)

Wings often end up like this when mantises do not have somewhere to hang at the right angles for wing expansion and drying. They are also sometimes disturbed and move to a location and position that impedes their ability to fold their wings properly as they harden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same thing happened to my female ghost who molted 1 week ago.

Latest posts