How long does it take for a mantis to shed after it stops eating?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collinchang96

Reaction score
How long does it take for a mantis to shed after it stops eating? Two days? One? Should I try to feed it and see if it eats or should I leave him alone? If I dont feed him, how long should i keep it up? Will he die if I keep it up for too long?He's always hanging on the top of his cage and not moving, always standing still. Need help...

How long does it take for a mantis to shed after it stops eating? Two days? One? Should I try to feed it and see if it eats or should I leave him alone? If I dont feed him, how long should i keep it up? Will he die if I keep it up for too long?He's always hanging on the top of his cage and not moving, always standing still. Need help...
best to leave him alone. A mantis can go for days without food. The worst thing you can do when a mantis is preparing for a moult is to disturb it.

Mantids normally hang upside down without moving it doesn't mean they're going to shed. If you try to feed it an item and it has no interest it might be ready to shed soon. You can mist it if it's not eating so it doesn't dehydrate but of course never spray it so hard it will fall.

Today I opened his cage to mist it and I put a mosquito inside. When I misted it, he ran to a water droplet and started drinking. When I put the mosquito inside, he caught it and nibbled on it but then soon let go. Is this normal?

Yes. Alot of times, my mantids drop food for seemingly no reason. The mantis could have all ready been full/not hungry, or it just may molt. I'd leave it alone for a while. Smart move misting it though, that helps. Just not too much, and not during molting.

I have a mantis and i'm not sure if its going to molt. It's the fourth day after it stopped eating and still hasn't molted. Still misting it everyday

Latest posts