How long until she lays her ooth?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowieisbae

Reaction score
I paired up my Tenodera Sinensis on August 20th (14 days ago) and I'm just wondering when I should expect her to lay the ooth? She has a fairly large area with a bunch of sticks & branches to choose from. She isn't eating much though, and a variety of bugs has been offered to her. 

This is my first time breeding Mantids, so any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

IMG_3489.PNG

Most mantids take about 2 weeks to start laying eggs after they mated, it's probably about time for yours 

She should lay an ootheca (egg case) very soon. So I would just wait and see. Most female Chinese mantises lay any where from 1-5 egg cases, at least from what I have seen in mine. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
She certainly looks ready to lay.  I just bred my Miomantis on Thurs. and she aid on Sat. that shows how quickly some species lay .....  S

It's been 18 days now, she looks ready to lay but she hasn't yet. At what point should I start to worry? 
I wouldn't worry yet, sometimes they just take their time. If she doesn't lay maybe after 4 or 5 weeks, hopefully it won't take that long, but you can try moving around her sticks, getting her different ones with varying thickness and such.

Latest posts