How long will Chinese ooths keep in the fridge

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griever

Reaction score
I need to know how long will chinese ooths keep in the fridge. Im receiveing a few and I only plan on hatching 2 ooths, I just needed to know how long you can keep them viable the fridge. :huh:

The longest I have ever in the fridge was 2.5 months. It was Chinese mantis ootheca and I kept it inside an air- tight container to keep moisture. No additional misting needed it may cause molding if the ooth is in sealed zip- lock or container. The ooth hatched out fine for me this way.

And on the other hand, how long do the "american Chinese Mantis" need to stay in the fridge???

I ask because the Chinese Mantis I breed don't need a cool period in ooths incubation. I even think they wouldn't survive it. I just keep the ooths warm and they hatch after 4 to 6 weeks. The species name is Tenodera sinensis. Does anyone know the latin name of the species that lives in the US?

And on the other hand, how long do the "american Chinese Mantis" need to stay in the fridge???I ask because the Chinese Mantis I breed don't need a cool period in ooths incubation. I even think they wouldn't survive it. I just keep the ooths warm and they hatch after 4 to 6 weeks. The species name is Tenodera sinensis. Does anyone know the latin name of the species that lives in the US?
Same species. This species can support a diapause period, but does not require one.

And on the other hand, how long do the "american Chinese Mantis" need to stay in the fridge???I ask because the Chinese Mantis I breed don't need a cool period in ooths incubation. I even think they wouldn't survive it. I just keep the ooths warm and they hatch after 4 to 6 weeks. The species name is Tenodera sinensis. Does anyone know the latin name of the species that lives in the US?
Same thing. We call them chinese because they originally were brought over from China.

Thanks a lot for the replies. :)

I knew that the Chinese Mantis i introduced to the US from Asia, but the species name was always a bit confuing to me, as there is Tenodera sinensis and T. aridifolia and a lot of people talk about Tenodera aridifolia sinensis... <_<

In the words of the all knowing Christian in another thread.

I have told this many times, but I'll give it another try:Tenodera aridifolia sinensis is WRONG, because it is outdated.

T. sinensis is right. It was treated as a subspecies of T. aridifolia for a long time, but this was an error, as both species are as different as T. sinensis and T. angustipennis are, for instance.

The confusion only arose because this species was often used in scientific studies whose authors, being not taxonomists, used this name (T. a. sinensis) for decades, although it was corrected by taxonomy much earlier.

T. aridifolia is, of course, closely related (otherwise there would be no confusion), but distributed more in the tropics, while T. sinensis is its subtropical and temperate counterpart. The distribution in N-America is of no importance in this regard, as it was introduced there.

Latest posts