How long ?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodtkr

Reaction score
Ok question. How long before kids stop coming out of this ooth? It hatched Monday I saw nothing since. Luckily I'm a lazy guy and just put the lid with booth attached on top of an empty deli cup. I never snapped it closed just put it there. Well today I come home and find 5 or 6 new kids and one hanging.

Many ooths hatch in one main hatch, but it can take a few weeks for a few late bloomers to hatch. It is always a good idea to keep the ooth in incubation for a few more weeks to ensure all the nymphs had a chance to hatch. Usually a additional 2 to 3 weeks is enough time.

I have had a few ooths that hatch out only a handful of nymphs at a time for nearly a month - but those never had a large main hatch like yours did. There are some ooths as PrayingMantisPets said that split up the hatching nymphs over a few seasons of spring, but those are exotic species like Miomantis caffra and such - not a Chinese (Tenodera sinensis) ooth. ;)

What Sp. is it???

Some like Chinese burst out like a 100+ all at once

&

You have a chain of nymphs just hanging on top of each other

But others like a Brunner's Stick can take 3 to 4 months from 1st to last nymph to hatch out

So it depends on the Sp. you have

I was fortunate this morning and was able to watch for the first time 4 T. sinensis emerge from an ooth which has been in incubation for 5 weeks. I was anticipating a mass emergence and a much smaller nymph. There have been no additional appearances for a couple of hours. Wow, my wife will kill me if I leave my "honey do list" on hold for long. :hang:

Well the ooth I had was a little bigger than an acorn and over a hundred came out on the first day then 7 more a few days later

It varies but knowing the species would help.

About 3 hours after the first 4 appeared another 10 emerged. Now almost 24 hrs later and no additional activity. The egg case looks good and is about the size of a marshmallow. The babies appear healthy and active.

Latest posts