How many house flies?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Ratmosphere As many as needed for the abdomen to plump, is the real answer. ;)

If you wanting a number though I would assume 6 houseflies a week, 2 per feeding every other day - but of course that depends on how much of the fly it eats, even gender starts to be a consideration (as females eat more), if it is nearing a molt, and just how hungry the Ghost truly is. :)

Awesome! Do you guys ever let your mantis go a week without food? 
Never intentionally but things have happened before, and as long as they were fed properly up until the week they should survive. That said it can be rather hard on some individuals (typically females), with some developing health issues which can drastically cut their life short from the event. (Green, Thomas.  Praying Mantis Ultimate care guide. BLEP Publishing; 2014). ;)

I would suggest not to intentionally miss a weeks worth of feeding your mantis. If you have a issue arise where you are unable to feed for a week or more (perhaps a vacation trip) get a friend to feed your pet.

No, the max I let them go without food is four days, and that's only for my adults, my little ones get fed a small meal every two to three days. I had my ghost mantis go without food for ten days, I was on vacation and my sister was taking care of him, unfortunately he was a finicky eater at the time and would not eat, and she didn't know what to do, he was very weak when I got him back. He's nice and plump now but I don't recommend going that long without food.