How many is to many?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granny's Mantis Mayhem

Reaction score
I have 25 mantids (I had 27 but had two thistle deaths), I have talked to a few breeders that have 100 or more not counting nymphs.

I'm curious: 

• How many mantids you have?
  • How many mantids do you consider too many for yourself? 
  • How much time do you take for care/cleaning/feeding?
  • Do your mantids have their own space such as a room or shed?
  • How many species do you have?
  • How do you choose which species you want?
  • How long have you been in the hobby?
For myself, I think I could handle around 100 easily and right now I spend around 9 hours a week with care/cleaning/feeding but I'm pretty OCD lol To be fair if you add taking photos you could add several more hours a week.

A mod should probably move this to the General Mantis Discussions, but great topic! 

My answers are:

• 52 individuals, 11 ooths
  • Over 100, idk. I'll reach that limit soon!
  • Weekly, probably 2-3 hours.
  • Yes, I keep them in my closet, which is set up with screen shelves and heat. During the summer, when we are camping, they live in a tent which I call 'The Mantis Tent'. It's a favorite place of many of the campground kids. 
  • 15, including ooths and purchases in the mail currently. This includes:
Popa spurca

Gongylus gongylodes

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii

Hymenopus coronatus

Galinthias amoena

Brunneria borealis

Phyllocrania paradoxa

Parasphendale affinis

Miomantis caffra

Creobroter pictipennis

Tenodera sinensis

Creobroter gemmatus

Phyllovates chlorophea

Blepharosis mendica

Parasphendale Kenya sp.

• I choose by what deals I can find! I'm always on the lookout for ooths and breeding groups of various species.
  • 3½-4 years.
- MantisGirl13

How many mantids you have?

• 41 with 16 more on the way

How many mantids do you consider too many for yourself? 

• Huh? That's a question for someone else.

How much time do you take for care/cleaning/feeding?

• Averaged out, ~2 hrs per day. But, I fuss over them, and live among them during that time, so it's immersion.

Do your mantids have their own space such as a room or shed?

• Not yet. I keep them in two areas. One area is away from the rest, for matured males.

How many species do you have?

• Currently 13 ( panthers died :(  ), with 3 more on the way: H. venosa, H. coronatus, P, paradoxa, P. wahlbergii, G. gongylodes, P. guineensis, M. caffra, P. illudens, H. membranacea, B. mendica, R. basalis, R. stalli, D. truncata    [O. planiceps, D. lobata, P chlorophaea]
  • I also have an M. religiosa ooth that may or may not be fertile. Time to find out. ;)

How do you choose which species you want?

• Usually availability.

How long have you been in the hobby?

• Since around Sept 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment, 21 and several ooths, but that changes frequently when I make trades. 

When it starts seeming like a chore... it's too many. 😀

I went through "how many mantids can I keep at the same time" stage a while back, but now I just acquire species that I'm interested in experiencing when the opportunity arises. Sometimes it's easier to keep more, especially when it comes to purchasing feeders. If I have to order BBF in bulk, I might as well get my money's worth since they are perishable... why waste product when you can keep enough mantids to eat them all. 

How much time do you take for care/cleaning/feeding?
Average 30 mins a day on care/cleaning/feeding. I have a pretty good system worked out. I don't really count handling time... that's just for fun. 😊

I have a "bug corner" and some specimens throughout the house.

26 at the moment: 

Tenodera sinensis

Sphodromantis lineola

Hierodula membranacea

Hierodula venosa 

Stagmomantis carolina

Sphodromantis aurea

Deroplatys lobata

Creobroter pictipennis

Pseudocreobotra ocellata

Creobroter gemmatus 

Rhombodera megaera

Tenodera angustipennis

Phyllocrania paradoxa 

Gonatista grisea

Hierodula majuscula

Pseudoxyops perpulchra

Pnigomantis medioconstricta

Parasphendale sp. 

Phyllovates chlorophaea

Galinthias amoena

More coming soon. 

Appearance, demeanor, care requirements. I do keep multiples of the same species, but I like to experience as many different species as available. I avoid delicate species unless they're really spectacular... or when I can get a great deal. 

A little over a year. Most of my original specimens are still alive, but I'm afraid I'll be having lots of vacancies soon. 😕 On the positive side, I'll have the opportunity to try other species. 😊

Last edited by a moderator:
  • How many mantids you have? -Currently 8, soon to be about 48+ with the two and a half ghost ooths I'm trying to hatch.
  • How many mantids do you consider too many for yourself? - I am currently happy with the 8 that I have. Ideally I would like to keep it at or below 12, but with what looks like a breeding pair of Idolos and my ghost mantises pumping out ooths that I can't get rid of fast enough, I have a feeling I will have mantises coming out of my ears for quite some time. Too much would be where I couldn't keep them all fed and they start suffering, which, aside from forgetting to place an order for pupa once, hasn't happened.
  • How much time do you take for care/cleaning/feeding? -About 10 minutes a day on actual husbandry, sometimes less. Overall its about an hour per day just staring at them in amazement. Now, how much money I've spent...
  • Do your mantids have their own space such as a room or shed? -They have their own shelving unit in my office that I never use, so basically their own room. I find its easier to climate control the entire room rather than individually.
  • How many species do you have? - 3
  • How do you choose which species you want? - I'm superficial, so basically how cool they look--I can improvise and adapt for their environmental needs (at least its worked well for me up to now anyway) 
  • How long have you been in the hobby? - I've loved mantises since I was old enough to learn about them at about 6 years old. However, as far as actual keeping mantises, about 6 months.

9 at the moment

i don't know. my hubby doesnt like my hobby so much, I will say my till my desk is full😁

How much time do you take for care/cleaning/feeding?
Maybe 1 hour with cleaning feeders and hissers too. Feeding take more time, have 2 mantids that are terrible eaters (males) but I keep handfeeding them, better a few bites than nothing.

No, they are living on my desk (so I can see them)

5: 3 hierdola membranacrea, 1H masjuscula, 2 ghosts, 2 creobroter gemmatus

Seeing pics of mantids of others (like panthers) and what my breeder has in stock. and what species can live in room temperature.

I think 1,5 years by now. I still love mantids

I'ma be honest, I think 10 is too much 😂 I just dont have space or time, or money. 

I think I'm reaching that point. Taking about 1 hour to feed my brood.
Lol I spent an hour feeding just the mantids on fruit flies last night! I still have a lot more that have graduated to bbs, dubias, and moths to feed today!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts