How often do bad molts happen?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTHMfreak

Reaction score
South Ontario California. Pretty much on the Chino
My mantis Francis molted to L5 the other day. Problem was she could not get her claws fully out of the old skin on her own. So I intervened and helped her out (she was stuck for over 12 hours!). She is still active but has not closed her claws since. She can fully extend them outward, but no closing of them has been seen. Someone suggested that if I can manage to keep her healthy that the next molt should rectify the problem. So how often do other people see their mantid have a bad molt?

Freak,

I've learned to keep a record of mantis molt dates (just mark your calendar the day it happens). Different species have differing times between molts. If Francis took 10 days to go from L4 to L5, she'll take about that much time to L6. As you approach the 10th day, be aware of behavioral changes. Specifically: a lack of interest in eating, or, an inability to hold a feeder even though she strikes at it (this may be intentional to move the feeder away). She may act skittish and nervous and "pace" the container. If all these circumstances line up, I mist the container just a tiny bit more than normal. I make sure some of the misting hits the mantis directly (she may appear to disapprove, but it's very much for her own good). Also, I will *partially* cover some ventilation areas to keep the condo a little more humid. If she hasn't molted the next morning, I'll repeat the procedure that night. Be certain to remove any feeders if you see pre-molting behavior. In summary, I believe all my successful molts have, to a good extent, been due to carefully misting mantis and environment at the right time prior to the molt.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, not all that odd. Mine have occasionally eaten a day before. But more often than not - watch for food rejection.

What species?

For larger sp. @ L5, I feed every other day as a general rule. Examine her belly. Very skinny? Probably should feed. A little plump? Maybe hold off a day.

With most species I feel bad molts can pretty much be avoided with proper husbandry methods.

What do you mean with "husbandry methods" have seen the term around here on this forum.
As Agent A mentioned husbandry methods is just talking about care practices such as making sure you have the right size enclosure with adequate easy to hang to surfaces, making sure the temps and humidity are good, making sure the mantis is well hydrated and fed, ect. Basically it is the stuff that falls on us as the keepers.

Latest posts