How often feed

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captnsarah

Reaction score
So I have a 4th-5th instar (I'm pretty sure he was 4th instar when I got him a week ago, and he has moulted once already, so I think he's 5th instar...)

giant rainforest mantid (hierodula majuscula), how often should I be feeding him?

I've read online a few different things, every day to every second to third and even one person who feeds their mantis once a week...

He's fed on small crickets and I also have small and normal sized mealworms but he doesn't seem to too interested in mealworms at the moment.

He has fed about once since I've had him (in about a week) although he did only recently moult too, so he hasn't eaten until today.

My 5th instar T. sinesis ate a small cricket every day and did pretty well; but there's no set amount to feed your mantis as long as the individual food item is no more than a third the length he is. If you feed him more, he'll grow and age faster, and if you feed him less, he'll grow and age slower, going from what I've experienced and read. I wouldn't feed him less than twice a week though, I'd be nervous making them wait any longer. If they're not hungry they won't eat.

I feed all my mantids crickets, but I'd bet he'd enjoy a mealworm if he tasted it. You could pull the mealworm's head off and shove it in his face and he should nibble on it for a moment before taking it from you. I've never done this with mealworms, but I've fed mantises who aren't eating a cricket with this method. However, I'd stick with the crickets. I enjoy watching mantises catch their prey on their own.

Easy rule of thumb on this one. Feed her until she rejects food (she will literally strike at it and/or threat display), then wait 2 days. So you are feeding her all she will take every three days. Simple as that! She can't overeat in a binge and she won't starve in between feedings so you'll be golden ;)

Also don't be surprised around molting times if they just don't want to eat. I recently had an Orthodera novaezealandiae (New Zealand) reject food for 3 days before a molt and 8 days after... now he's eating like a piggy. Just wait for them to start eating again and then go back on to the schedule above.

I feed mantids every other day. Look at the abdomen as it should be a bit plump but not stretched to the max and not thin either. Feed enough to maintain the abdomen in that range and you should be fine.

I feed mantids every other day. Look at the abdomen as it should be a bit plump but not stretched to the max and not thin either. Feed enough to maintain the abdomen in that range and you should be fine.
We do this with some species at least at younger stages, but haven't really found a difference. So I can't really say this is a better or worse idea. Your thoughts?

I feed all my mantids crickets, but I'd bet he'd enjoy a mealworm if he tasted it. You could pull the mealworm's head off and shove it in his face and he should nibble on it for a moment before taking it from you. I've never done this with mealworms, but I've fed mantises who aren't eating a cricket with this method. However, I'd stick with the crickets. I enjoy watching mantises catch their prey on their own.
That method is all bad unless your mantis can not catch prey on its own from a bad moult.... By using that method you are forcing a mantis to feed when it may be preparing for a moult and all you've done is add stressing to this already stressful part of a mantis life....

If a mantis does not feed within a few hours remove prey and wait 2 days...

If enclosure is too big hold feeder in some tweezers and hold it an nice or so away from the mantis, the mantis will catch the feeder within a couple of mins or it does not wish to eat....

Sticking juices bits in a mantids face just causes stress like you would feel stress if someone kept sticking a pizza in your face until you fed.....

If a mantis had a mismoult and has damaged both raptor claws then this is the only method to try and save your pet but if both raptors or even one raptor is in full working order there is no need at all...

although with certain species, overfeeding to get the females to mature faster is sometimes required if not preferable.
No sir, that by definition would not be overfeeding. Overfeeding is always bad. That's what makes it overfeeding. What you are describing is just giving them more food than the males. It's like the difference between having seconds and eating until your stomach rips open

Latest posts