how old is everyone

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just turned 39 recently, but I am very immature :)
Congratulations! Once lost, immaturity is gone for ever. Mature Women of the World, Sunny (15) and Mija (22), counsel me on my immaturity, "Jesus, Phil, one day you're going to do yr 'Happy Dance' and fall down dead!" but at least I, we, won't die of boredom! Good old Flaubert nailed it:

"C'est l'Ennui! -- l'oeil charge d'un pleur involuntaire,

Il reve d'echafauds en fumant son houka."

Incidentally, "houka" was translated by some Mature American (Howard) as "pipe!"

Congratulations! Once lost, immaturity is gone for ever. Mature Women of the World, Sunny (15) and Mija (22), counsel me on my immaturity, "Jesus, Phil, one day you're going to do yr 'Happy Dance' and fall down dead!" but at least I, we, won't die of boredom! Good old Flaubert nailed it:"C'est l'Ennui! -- l'oeil charge d'un pleur involuntaire,

Incidentally, "houka" was translated by some Mature American (Howard) as "pipe!"
Wow lol didnt understand that at all lol

by the way.... ga-sune-tight! lol

Congratulations! Once lost, immaturity is gone for ever. Mature Women of the World, Sunny (15) and Mija (22), counsel me on my immaturity, "Jesus, Phil, one day you're going to do yr 'Happy Dance' and fall down dead!" but at least I, we, won't die of boredom! Good old Flaubert nailed it:"C'est l'Ennui! -- l'oeil charge d'un pleur involuntaire,

Wow lol didnt understand that at all lol
It means: "Ooops!!! :eek: I've involuntarily fumigated my Dachshunds!" ;)

It means: "Ooops!!! :eek: I've involuntarily fumigated my Dachshunds!" ;)
Sorry! Senior moment. The lines are in French, written not by Flaubert (where did that come from?) but by Charles Baudelaire (Flowers of Evil) around 1842. L'Ennui, is Boredom, represented as an Old Man of about my age, who remembers the executions during the French Revolution about fifty years earlier.

"He is Boredom, shedding involuntary tears

As he dreams of scaffolds and smokes his hookah [opium pipe]."

My guess is that The Terror was the only exciting thing in his life, and he misses watching the executions!

Again, my apologies, I probably ate too many green caterpillars again last night. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry! Senior moment. The lines are in French, written not by Flaubert (where did that come from?) but by Charles Baudelaire (Flowers of Evil) around 1842. L'Ennui, is Boredom, represented as an Old Man of about my age, who remembers the executions during the French Revolution about fifty years earlier. "He is Boredom, shedding involuntary tears

As he dreams of scaffolds and smokes his hookah [opium pipe]."

My guess is that The Terror was the only exciting thing in his life, and he misses watching the executions!

Again, my apologies, I probably ate too many green caterpillars again last night. :D
I still like my translation better... :lol: :p

Latest posts