How resistant are mantis to inbreeding?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebookman10

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I wanted ask how resistant are mantis to inbreeding? After replying to the unknown mantis appreciation thread I decided to check one last time for any Empusa fasciata for sale and behold, I found someone selling L2 nymphs from (probably) a wild caught ooth. I wanted to start a breeding program, however I want to know how resistant mantids are to inbreeding before I need to introduce new bloodlines. 

If you manage to get a set going, please do shoot me a message - I would absolutely love to keep one of those!

Personally, I've bred to 3 generations (Creobroter pictipennis) and found the offspring fewer in number and weaker with frequent die offs. I'm not certain if it was coincidence or genetic. There are probably some old threads in the archives you can search for. 

Personally, I've bred to 3 generations (Creobroter pictipennis) and found the offspring fewer in number and weaker with frequent die offs. I'm not certain if it was coincidence or genetic. There are probably some old threads in the archives you can search for. 
Refer to P88 of Orin's book. Interesting. ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have that edition... I have an abridged edition, so there is no page 88. 😀

There are many informative posts on the subject here in the forum. 
A lot of people are saying that tired unicorn genes make for lazy uninspired males. Mine would stalk and mount, and then basically let the female walk away from under him.

For me inbreeding isnt really a issue but the nymphs are weaker.

OK, so I think I might buy 5 or so mantids and see how well they grow up. They are currently L2's right now so it might be a while before I am able to update this post. If anyone has any EF's (EMpusa Fasciata) so I can diversify the gene pool please let me know.

Latest posts