How soon do you feed the newly hatched mantises

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alimama

Reaction score
Hi, last year I managed to keep alive a male and female Chinese mantis  and they  reproduced and my baby mantises just hatched (thanks to the wonderful support and advice from many on this forum!). I do not have fruit flies on hand and I just ordered some but the seller said they are fresh and therefore I must wait 6 to 10 days, after they arrive, before I feed them. Im not sure why, but am wondering if its safe for the mantises to wait that long, or if I should order some riper FF as well.Any advice?

Do you have a PetSmart or PetCo near you? They carry producing cultures, even if they are a bit overpriced.

- MantisGirl13

Alimama,

I've had a long history of hatching T. sinensis - and have just had 3 wild ooths hatch in the last week (yielding about 500 pups).  This species can do ok for the first 2 - 4 days without food. Any longer than that and they will start eating (cannibalizing) each other. Make sure you give them wingless  Drosophila melanogaster ("gasters") - the smaller of the FF family.  These FF will be appropriate through L3 then you'll want to switch to the larger Drosophila Hydei FF.  If you can find FFs at PetSmart or Petco, they will be the smaller "gasters."  You can find producing cultures sold at vendors like "Josh's Frogs"  These come with hundreds of FFs already hatched and many more in larval form.  From this you can create your own culture in a separate container).  Once the nymphs outgrow D. Hydei, you'll have to move on to houseflies,  Turkistan Roaches (Shelfordella lateralis), or small banded crickets.  Once your pets are larger, it's great fun to get them used to eating from your fingers (or tweezers).  Mealworms are great for this. Snip off an end of the mealworm (so it oozes yummy) and very slowly approach the mantis (head on). They may be skittish at first.  If you can get any of the goo on the mantis, they'll taste it and you'll have an immediate friend.  You can do this with honey too - but use honey only as an occasional treat.  Hope this helps. 

Zuri on Mount Knuckle.JPG

Latest posts