How to be BIG question ??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEAM BUGS

Reaction score
Hello I am curious about if you can increase Hierodula majuscula over all size ??   Focus is the Australia giant rainforest mantis

Here is the theory/by using human body building ways/I think the biggest Hm is 13cm ( Try to get them to 5 inches )

#1 By feeding every 3 hours as often as possible at room temperature with mix high protein food variety/gut loads cricket or dust feed item with bee pollen & high protein power

to be continued

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello I am curious about if you can increase Hierodula majuscula over all size ??   Focus is the Australia giant rainforest mantis

Here is the theory/by using human body building ways/I think the biggest Hm is 13cm ( Try to get them to 5 inches )

#1 By feeding every 3 hours as often as possible at room temperature with mix high protein food variety/gut loads cricket or dust feed item with bee pollen & high protein power

to be continued
Nope. ;)

You can get their abdomen to swell from over feeding, but that is it, and typically only females. Comparing human body building to changing mantid length is a fallacy, same as body building in humans will not make a human taller. Besides the problem is their exoskeleton sets their size (and their muscles are inside the exoskeleton anyway), not to mention their genetics, and making them fat will not make the exoskeleton grow any bigger than normal.

The only thing that can be accomplished by feeding at that rate is obesity that will shorten the mantids lifespan and can lead to health issues. As well as making the mantid highly susceptible to a falls and pointed objects that can puncture the abdomen much easier due to the pressures exerted internally on the abdomen.

When it sound too good to be true it usually is

what can I said I am a fool

yes the part that body builder do not get taller from working out settle it
Nah I wouldn't say that, after all experimentation seems to be the backbone of the hobby in breeding, care, and related. :) I do wish though it was that simple to breed a massive mantid, that would be amazing. :D

@TEAM BUGS You would need a leash for that pet, and lots bigger prey. :D

The biggest that is usually available in length is the Giant African Stick mantis (Heterochaeta sp.); although, for length and girth I've seen photos of a member's Giant Asian Mantis (Hierodula sp.) that made the Chinese mantis (Tenodera sinensis) in the photo sitting beside it appear to be tiny (both adult females). I looked for the photo without any luck too.

It seems most mantid species top off at about the 4.5" (11-12cm) mark in length - but I imagine there are some bigger species somewhere. ;)

Latest posts