How to better protect ooths

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massaman

Reaction score
many people have had ooths stolen or taken away by animals kept in garages or anything and I can prob offer a little advice on what can be done to keep this from happening again or maybe as a extra step in security as one idea could be take one of them swipper wipe plastic boxes with the clear lid and what could be done is clean the plastic container out to get rid of all the chemicals and poke hols in the lid or on the sides of the small plastic box carefully and put the ooths in the box and keep the lid tight on and store them in a spot and that may discourage birds or other animals from going after them or use some better containers and put the ooths inside and well maybe tupperware could work if enough ventilation is given and what not and the idea is to keep them protected and keep them out of harms way!

Just be aware of raccoons, I have seen them get into many things, and I have even watched them open lids to containers, when I lived in a place that had raccoon problem. :eek: One time I watched one open a garbage can at the park, with ease. I was surprised because I couldn't seem to get it open and had to hike to another garbage can to throw away my soda can earlier that day. <_<

I just keep my chinese ooths in the refrigerator in a paper bag until wanted to hatch. California doesn't get cold enough to keep stored outside. I think they should only be viable for the next season. I am raising some sub adults, presently. I don't really know how to properly get the ootheca to diapause once laid. I purchased a few from ebay in January and will hatch all this year for the garden and to enrich the neighborhood with some biodiversity. Any info on chinese diapausing? Is it even necessary?

no they dont need a diapause at all but putting them in the fridge may break the cycle or something to that effect but I would imagine in some parts of California it would get cold in the winter time depending on what part your from!

When incubating oothecae outdoor (backyard), I kept ooth in typical 16/32 oz pastic container, but have all the containers in acrylic cage with durable net screen (fine thread) to protect the ootheca from bird or blown away by strong wind. The acrylic cage is secured in position by two bricks but it is actually heavy enough by itself.

incu1.jpg

and my dog Gizmo look is always on the lookout for any stray cat or racoon :lol:

When incubating oothecae outdoor (backyard), I kept ooth in typical 16/32 oz pastic container, but have all the containers in acrylic cage with durable net screen (fine thread) to protect the ootheca from bird or blown away by strong wind. The acrylic cage is secured in position by two bricks but it is actually heavy enough by itself.

incu1.jpg

and my dog Gizmo look is always on the lookout for any stray cat or racoon :lol:
(A) That doggie is priceless! Little doggie-badge and billie-club and it's official!

( B) That acrylic hathery is equally cool. I've seen a few online, but haven't gotten one just yet. Some pre-made ones for replite eggs is also on my to-do list.

Yen, your dog is super cute. And that acrylic cage is awesome, you should sell those.

Latest posts