How to breed antlions[HELP]

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky

The Skate Life
Reaction score
OK so I found these antlions a month ago at a lake miles and miles away from here and now they turned into cocoons. If I let them go they will die for sure because we don't have antlions here and I only have 4 cocoons. What are the odds of the 4 adults finding each other?

Any experts here know how to breed antlions?

well, if you placed them all together/ close together in a safe place they'll probably find eachother (as i think they'll rely on pheromones more than anything else) i would try to hatch them myself, keep them in individual jars, have good humidity, a perch for them to climb, dirt to walk on all that good stuff.

i've never gotten a succesful pupa hatching, but i think that's because i kept it really dry...they get big wings so give them room to flap them if you're going to keep them

wait, so i have to spray the cocoons too? How many times should I get them wet?

They're not eating the nectar I give them they drink water though. Oh well, might as well feed them to my mantis. :(

I mean the adult antlions. All my antlions turned into cocoons and so far i have 2 adults hatch.

I raise antlions for research and fun. I have more Pupae than larvae.
I have successfully released 2 adult antlions back into the wild.
They are everywhere in Texas.