How to erm... end it if something goes wrong...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
may be the quickest but who actually has the heart to tread on something they love (well i get attacked to them anyway...)

just a thought, i know it may probablybe illegal but if it is certain that they'll die, what's the harm in putting them outside to experience true freedom etc? - it's not like they'll go on to reproduce and damage the ecosystem...

Best way is to freeze them like I said. Feeding them to another animal is also a good way however if you're looking for a painless/quick way thats not it.

Well if you dont have the heart to end it painlessly then there is no way. Smashing it is the best answer but I also get attached to it . Letting it outside is the same as jsut letting it die by itself.(mantises dont move much) It wont really experince freedom i dont think. Actually i dont think they know the diference. There is no way to kill your loved pet without heart break but it is best for your pet.

Feeding them to another animal is also a good way however if you're looking for a painless/quick way thats not it.
I dont think one swift bite is any more painful than anything else.

I reckon when something like a beardie eats the mantis it is over pretty damn quick. Haven't seen a mantis arm sticking out of beardie bum-hole yet pulling itself out anyway :D :shock: :twisted:

Well depends on what you feed it too. Only thing I have I could feed them to would be a small turtle or another mantis. Either way would be a slow death.

I pinned/positioned the dying one :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: and preserved them, especially if they are adult ....

ghostandinsectd.jpg

When you feed it to something like a bearded dragon, its all over in a matter of seconds.

Thanks,

Andrew

just a thought, i know it may probablybe illegal but if it is certain that they'll die, what's the harm in putting them outside to experience true freedom etc? - it's not like they'll go on to reproduce and damage the ecosystem...
In your case, there would be no detriment to the environment, since Chinese mantids can be found all over the US.

However, in case non-domestic species, though minimal, there is the potential for damage to the ecosystem. Depending upon whether or not the mantid was imported from its native area, the mantid could be carrying parasites or diseases from that area.

used to have lizards and it certainly looked like the crickets were destroyed very quickly, but obviously i dont now and others may not have anything to feed it to.

the whole fridge and then freezer sounds good but to be fair (not sure what feelings they have) i dont like being cold and its uncomfortable and when really cold can hurt

for instant putting it on the floor and jumping onto it sounds like it would be 100% instant and therefore kindest way kinda like a bullet to the head sounds like it would in most cases (people have survived bullets to the head) be instant

I dont own a mantid yet so i am just going on how a see it

yep, coz once one of my mantis got a cricket arm stuck under her arm (dont ask how) and i tryed pulling it and it looked at me and kinda jumped lol after several trys i got it out but was deffinatly destressed

i'd say most things would be able to feel pain although scientist beleive fish have not developed that part of the brain so ?

I thought i heard within the last year that they had... could be wrong though, but I would assume anything with a CNS would be able to feel pain

wow, who'd have thought that a topic on how to kill them would be this popular... :shock:

wow, who'd have thought that a topic on how to kill them would be this popular
yeah i wouldn't have expected this topic but i suppose you cant really take em to the vet to be put down like a damaged dog

YES... I think a poll is in order... Freeze... Feed... Or a swift smack with a book? LOL... I think as long as you have a morphined mantid like Leah suggested it really..... heh... wouldn't... matter...

I say just put it on the floor and stomp the outta it and drag your foot over it...its gonna be FAST.

id figure being smashed with a rubber mallet would be pretty much pain free because they would be geletin before they could feel much of anything

especially nymphs

Latest posts