How to piss a praying mantis - video

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The finger seems to work better than the tweezers.

Most of my mantids only display when I am not trying to piss them off. They just look at my hand when I taunt them. :innocent:

Nice music, cool phyllothelys too!

She strikes everytime you touch her legs, ticklish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hitting your mantis to make them display is not cool. I see other videos of people hitting or flicking to make the mantis or tarantula display. They dont forget and dont trust you for awhile after.

Hitting your mantis to make them display is not cool. I see other videos of people hitting or flicking to make the mantis or tarantula display. They dont forget and dont trust you for awhile after.
IMO praying mantis have not such a feeling like a trust... I don't hurt her in any way.

i believe that they do... all of my mantids have their own personalities... and its not that you are physically hurting them but your intentionally making them feel fear

IMO praying mantis have not such a feeling like a trust... I don't hurt her in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ponder, my Paraspendale affinis female has no fear of fingers. And she almost never displays. However, on the occasion where I approach her with a mouse (that's the term we use here for any prey) which is held in my set of tongs - she freaks out and displays (she did it today when I presented her with a fat moth held by the tongs). So for her, the metal tongs present a predator threat. She did, however, grab the mouse-moth from the tongs anyway.

I really don't like to force threat displays since it stresses out the mantis.

I'll admit after the first 30 secs or so of these type of videos I tend to get the overpowering urge to grab my tweezers and jab the human involved repeatedly in return. I understand why people like display poses for videos or photos but 3 plus minutes of pokeing a mantis nonstop just feels like overkill.

Agreed. I hate forced displays... I can understand why you would want to see them do it, but I could never poke and prod my mantis just to tick her off.

Ponder, my Paraspendale affinis female has no fear of fingers. And she almost never displays. However, on the occasion where I approach her with a mouse (that's the term we use here for any prey) which is held in my set of tongs - she freaks out and displays (she did it today when I presented her with a fat moth held by the tongs). So for her, the metal tongs present a predator threat. She did, however, grab the mouse-moth from the tongs anyway.

I really don't like to force threat displays since it stresses out the mantis.
Odd, my Hierodula is the same way. She has no issues with my my fingers/hands, but hates the site of the tweezers. She's a little.... weird. That's why I love her.