How to separate aquarium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keroro

Reaction score
I have a large aquarium that can easily fit at least two mantids. How should I separate my aquarium so I can have two mantids instead of one?

You can put anything in between to separate the tank into two compartments. For my tank, I made my separator out of cardboard, cloth, and lots of tape.

I don't see how cardboard will work due to the moisture from substrate and misting. I buy a sheet of plexiglass and use a dremel tool to cut a divider out. Then you can notch the inside edge of the aquarium to hold it in place.

I just go to Home Depot and pick up a piece of Lexan. Then I come home and measure the dimensions it needs to be to fit tight and smug inside the tank, so that it's literally jammed inside and hard to budge. I then cut it with heavy duty shears. It takes about 20 minutes to make. For extra support and to make sure it's well grounded, it's sandwiched between substrate.

What I did was goto the craft store and pick uip a grid of that plastic stuff for needlepoint. It is flexible and easily cut. You can connect them together with the wire from a twistie tie and it barely shows The ones I got were 10 inches by 13 inches, maybe there are larger ones if you need bigger, or just connect them as I mentioned.

They are all white, so seeing the mantis when they crawl on it is going to be very easy

Last edited by a moderator: