How to stop a mantis from vomiting?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeRipper

Reaction score
Well, I posted a thread about it a few days ago, one of my mantids was vomiting.

And it's started again.

I changed his/her food source, and it's still pukin'.

Any ideas?

I have no idea how to stop this.

I put him in a different cup and lid, and the brown gunk has started showing up again.

Help?

Give it some water because by now it's probally dehydrated. Take it out of the cup and place on a house plant or put it in a net cage for better ventilation. Don't feed it for the next few days. Hopefully it won't puke anymore if it's not to far gone. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Give it some water because by now it's probally dehydrated. Take it out of the cup and place on a house plant or put it in a net cage for better ventilation. Don't feed it for the next few days. Hopefully it won't puke anymore if it's ot to far gone. :(
I think that this is the best advice I have seen on this topic! Some folks blame this on feeding crix, but since you are only feeding ffs, that is obviously not the case here. Also, don't blame yourself for doing "something wrong"; that isn't the case at all. Maybe it has mantis bulimia or is just trying to get (even more) attention. Do you spend more time with the nymph that likes to pose for pix? Take more pix of this one. Maybe that will help. :D

I think that this is the best advice I have seen on this topic! Some folks blame this on feeding crix, but since you are only feeding ffs, that is obviously not the case here. Also, don't blame yourself for doing "something wrong"; that isn't the case at all. Maybe it has mantis bulimia or is just trying to get (even more) attention. Do you spend more time with the nymph that likes to pose for pix? Take more pix of this one. Maybe that will help. :D
You know, it's funny but I had one mantis that vomited and carried on all the time. He lived to be over 10 months old but was always hypochondriac-ing (is that a word?) about something. My personal belief was that he was a total pig when it came to eating...always overdid it and ate too fast. I did give him more water than probably necessary because I worried about dehydration. He was a real attention hog and seemed to carry on more when he wasn't the center of attention.

Rebecca

Phil: Hahaha! I giggled at "Mantis bulimia". Maybe I should give it more attention, it's name is Brutal. Maybe I'll give it a.. Sweeter name?

ismart: Thanks! I'll do just that, although I think I may have just drowned him! (Totally kidding.)

Becky: That reminds me of that movie, Madagascar, with the hypochondriac giraffe, Melman? Have you seen it? OH it's hilarious.

There really isn't much you can do when an insect is ill.

+1

I had one of my very first chinese mantis adult females who had that and she lasted maybe a week or 2 before she died cause of that condition and my only guess could be it was maybe something in the guts of the insects that the mantis was eating or maybe some kind of microbes or bacteria but no one knows what causes this!

Hello,

Please follow Phil's advice : kill all your mantids and try another hobby like collecting tie clips for instance. I'm having the same problem with all my mantids which are dying from vomiting and diarrhoea. According to Phil, that cannot be due to any germ affecting the mantids which contaminate each other (thereby contradicting my vet's viewpoint). He thinks that such a hypothesis is stupid and he advises better crickets husbandry to solve the problem... He thinks that we are stupid and it is very easy to avoid the problem of mantids dying from vomiting. Phil is a worldwide respected scientist...

Regards,

Oliver

Hello,Please follow Phil's advice : kill all your mantids and try another hobby like collecting tie clips for instance. I'm having the same problem with all my mantids which are dying from vomiting and diarrhoea. According to Phil, that cannot be due to any germ affecting the mantids which contaminate each other (thereby contradicting my vet's viewpoint). He thinks that such a hypothesis is stupid and he advises better crickets husbandry to solve the problem... He thinks that we are stupid and it is very easy to avoid the problem of mantids dying from vomiting. Phil is a worldwide respected scientist...

Regards,

Oliver
Wow, tell us how you really feel there.

Hello,Please follow Phil's advice : kill all your mantids and try another hobby like collecting tie clips for instance. I'm having the same problem with all my mantids which are dying from vomiting and diarrhoea. According to Phil, that cannot be due to any germ affecting the mantids which contaminate each other (thereby contradicting my vet's viewpoint). He thinks that such a hypothesis is stupid and he advises better crickets husbandry to solve the problem... He thinks that we are stupid and it is very easy to avoid the problem of mantids dying from vomiting. Phil is a worldwide respected scientist...

Regards,

Oliver
I deffinetly missed something? :lol:

I deffinetly missed something? :lol:
Hello,

Yes, you did miss something : a topic about "vomiting" that has been erased from the "Food and Feeding" section of this forum, in which Phil stated that I was the only stupid breeder to have trouble with my mantids vomiting, that the idea of a germ causing cross-contamination (suggested by a vet !) was foolish, and that the key to the problem lied in crickets husbandry only. He concluded writing that I would have more success collecting tie clips than breeding mantids.

Regards,

Oliver

Yes, the mantis is still alive, barely. He's not lookin' so good. But alive.

Oliver: I don't know what you're talking about. Phil has always been sweet and kind to me. I suggest you take your teen girl drama somewhere else, and that's coming from a teen girl! ( :lol: )

Oh dear. I just checked on him again and uh... He's dead. ######. Well! Never fear, he donated his body to science! And I'll have a look-see under the microscope later.

Yes, the mantis is still alive, barely. He's not lookin' so good. But alive. Oliver: I don't know what you're talking about. Phil has always been sweet and kind to me. I suggest you take your teen girl drama somewhere else, and that's coming from a teen girl! ( :lol: )
Hello,

Well, I guess that's because you're a cute teen girl. I am a "declining" 38-year-old male lion !

Kind regards,

Oliver

Yes, the mantis is still alive, barely. He's not lookin' so good. But alive. Oliver: I don't know what you're talking about. Phil has always been sweet and kind to me. I suggest you take your teen girl drama somewhere else, and that's coming from a teen girl! ( :lol: )
No. Zoe, I wasn't sweet and kind to poor Oliver, who, after asking for advice on this forum and receiving a lot of good suggestions from Rick and others, explicitly dismissed them in favor of his vet (!), who said, I believe , that the mantis will live or die, and his brother's pathologist who will test his mantids' stool for, among other things, "viral infection"(!)

As you have discovered, mantids, like other insects, can malfunction in ways that confound us and that would kill the insect in nature. When you start reading books on entomology, you will find that no one is funding research on mantis maladies and that therefore, there is no scientific information on them. Initially, Oliver described an isolated case that appeared to have nothing to do with infection, but subsequent information suggested that it certainly is.

Most of us, including Rebecca and Rick, who gave suggestions in this case, usually only have isolated cases of premature mantis death. Oliver is unusual in that he is experiencing an epidemic. Whether an epidemic occurs in a town, hospital (very common!) or bug room, human error, i.e. bad husbandry, is almost always to blame. Bacterial infections, particularly, are virtually always due to conditions that allow bacterial contagion. Frederick Prete summarizes this nicely in his The Praying Mantids: "Disease can pose a threat, and some facilities have lost entire cultures to infections (in some cases, possibly introduced by crickets from commercial suppliers). Disease is unusual, however, and reasonable cleanliness, moderate humidity, and quarantine of new arrivals will minimize risk." p.315.

Most of us can neither afford nor need the luxury of a culture, though it might point the way to avoiding a repetition of the problem, and we sometimes endanger our healthy stock by keeping a mantis alive that should probably be destroyed. In Oliver's case, destruction of his entire stock and sterilization or replacement of all equipment is probably the best way to proceed. This, obviously, does not apply to you and your isolated case, and I seriously doubt that your little guy carries an infectoion.

So there you have it. I must admit, though, that I regret suggesting to Oliver that he start collecting tie pins. He lives in a country that boasts the supremely collectible Limoges china.....

Oh dear. I just checked on him again and uh... He's dead. ######. Well! Never fear, he donated his body to science! And I'll have a look-see under the microscope later.
I'm sorry Zoe. :( I guess it was to late. In the future if you find one of your mantids start to vomit. Take it out of it's enclousure and place it somewhere the ventilation is good. Give it some water, and don't feed it for awhile. I have manged to save quite a few mantids this way.

Latest posts