How to tell if mating has occurred?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benayla

Reaction score
Well, my Hierodula Membranacea have been in the same cage for a while, the good news is Dracula hasn't been eaten. But since I can't stay awake 100% of the time I've slept for a good five hours. So....How can I tell if mating has already started and ended?? Here's a picture of Fluffy's Abdomen if it helps. 

100_0499.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
An expert will need to chime in to verify but I am under the impression that if you do not observe the mating that there aren't any physical signs that is has taken place. The female will produce ootheca regardless of whether or not she has been fertilized. I'd suggest keeping the female well fed. Leaving them together unsupervised can result in cannibalism. You may want to try to mate them in sessions and remove the female while you can't actively observe. 

An expert will need to chime in to verify but I am under the impression that if you do not observe the mating that there aren't any physical signs that is has taken place. The female will produce ootheca regardless of whether or not she has been fertilized. I'd suggest keeping the female well fed. Leaving them together unsupervised can result in cannibalism. You may want to try to mate them in sessions and remove the female while you can't actively observe. 
Sessions would be the way to go at least the first time around. Unless you have extra adults of each sex.

I would seperate them and attempt hand mating, since these are pretty aggressive species.

Latest posts