how to trasfer flys to mantis cage with out fly flying off?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro junkie

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
ok i have some magots im about to make flys..how do u lot trasfer flys from a cup to the tank with out it flying off?

You could make a small hole and put a plastic bottle into it, so the flies will get inside - then you just put the bottle into the freezer and then you "pour down" the flies into the cantainer with your mantis.

Once they are out of their torpor, they will be in for a rude awakening, hehehe.

Or freezer for 90 sec.
I like to put them in the freezer for up to four minutes or until they quit moving. That way they do not start moving around before I get done feeding everyone.

One time I put the whole thing of flies in the fridge and forgot about them until the next day.

Edit - Crud, didn't mean to post it like that. They all still survived fine... they stayed inactive for a long time though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to put them in the freezer for up to four minutes or until they quit moving. That way they do not start moving around before I get done feeding everyone.
Wow, that's a long time. I thought that they would die by then...

brilliant..il do that soon as they hatch..oh whats this pollen poweder i keep reading about..why would i want that?

So it mimics the bees or pollinating insects that it may naturally eat. It's not needed, but Yen uses it and as you can tell, his mantises thrive. ;)

Wow, that's a long time. I thought that they would die by then...
If they are young flies sometimes four minutes isn't even long enough. They are sometimes still crawling around. This is with bluebottles.

So it mimics the bees or pollinating insects that it may naturally eat. It's not needed, but Yen uses it and as you can tell, his mantises thrive. ;)
actually i've read that the pollen contains nutrients that helps in the mantis' growth and fertility

actually i've read that the pollen contains nutrients that helps in the mantis' growth and fertility
Sure. It also mimics the bees or pollinating insects that it may naturally eat.

You can get it at http://www.mantisplace.com/feederinsects.html . Rebecca has something called Yen's blend that you powder onto the feeder foods. She also has a type of fly food that has the pollen,powder, and stuff inside of it, so the fly gets gutloaded. I highly recommend her. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts