How?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hierodula

Reaction score
I caught some flight capable fruit flies and started a culture. I want to feed them to my mantids but i dont want them to escape and start buzzing around the house. the culture is in a 32 oz container. any suggestions :huh: thanks :)

put them in the fridge for a minute or 2 and then put them with the mantis that will work ror you can jury rig some rubber tubing from them to the mantids or something!

put them in the fridge for a minute or 2 and then put them with the mantis that will work ror you can jury rig some rubber tubing from them to the mantids or something!
Chilling them before serving is probably the best way to go, but you have to make sure that yr medium is stiff enough not to try flowing out of the culture pot when you tip them into the enclosure.

Flying fruit flies are going to escape, whatever you do! The method that produces the least escapees for me, is to keep the nymphs in a net cube, use a culture pot with a small hole in the lid, with a bung in it, put the pot in the cube and "pull the plug." Then zip up the top as fast as you can go.

Ever had a bread and butter and honey and fruit fly sandwich? Yum! :D

Do a search. This has been discussed many times. I use a funnel out the hole in the side of the culture cup.

haha, I just asked this same thing.

I've been knocking them to the bottom, and pouring them in. Really need to cut some holes in these things though, The mantis really likes to stay on the lid - and when I take it off he tries to get out.

haha, I just asked this same thing.I've been knocking them to the bottom, and pouring them in. Really need to cut some holes in these things though, The mantis really likes to stay on the lid - and when I take it off he tries to get out.
If mantis is in 32 oz cup then cut a feeding hole in the side.

Latest posts