Howdy from Mass

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraulein

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a new and unexpected hobbyist. My brother-in-law showed me his ghost and I was hooked. He later traded for a pair of Lichen/Cryptic Mantids for me, and I was in love. I got them as L4s, and enjoyed watching them grow. Turns out they were male and female! And quite compatible. 7 ooths later, my sweetheart boy passed on with a smile on his face :) I now have around 50 Sybilla Pretiosa babes from 5 ooths, about a half dozen already L2s, and two more ooths waiting to hatch. It's sad to see some pass along the way, but oh how I love watching them grow strong!

And now Im faced with...what to do with 50 babies? I'll be posting to trade or sell shortly. They really are such fantastic creatures, super easy to care for (I've read otherwise, but I've had great luck). My girl is strong and healthy, and has laid another 7 unfertile oothecas. It would be wonderful if I could find someone who has a lonely male, but I realize it's unlikely. I was so afraid she would turn on him in the end, but he went quietly, happy, and a day later his babes started hatching.

This forum has been a great help, and it's a wonderful community. I hope I can offer some advice or help in the future. After all, I'm hooked :)

-Andrea

Mom of:

AckAck, sybilla pretiosa mom and her many offspring

Delilah and Sybil, rose hair tarantulas

Fredo, caique and self-proclaimed king of the household

Ladybug, Treeing Walker Coonhound of Love

Leela and Kiko, drama queen kitties

And around 50+ fresh water fish (and Gunther the bamboo shrimp)

And Fatback, the grumpy uromastyx

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, you SAID THAT YOU ONLY HAD TWO, male and female. Her other ooths will be fertile, make sure you put them where they can hatch or sell them on the forum here.

welcome!! i live in connecticut and kept sybilla once :)

they were real skittish but cool i'm thinkin of getting more if u want to trade me for some i have oxyopsis and a bunch of other stuff

my sybilla story goes like this:

last february i got a sub pair and an extra sub female

they all made it to adult but only 1 female mated

the other just kept laying infertile ooths without giving male chance to mate so i gave up on her and kinda accidentally starved her (i wuz tryin to discourage infertile ooth laying)

anywayz the other one's ooths hatched and i had many L1 but only a few made it to L4 and were all female but then they died of infections

i would however like to get more but first i gotta get rid of a few of my excess mantises...

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa... wait a minute. I started with one male and one female, and they were quite amorous. I got 7 fertile ooths from the pairing until he passed on. Are you saying that the other (infertile I figured) 7 she laid, AFTER he passed, would still be fertile?

Whoa... wait a minute. I started with one male and one female, and they were quite amorous. I got 7 fertile ooths from the pairing until he passed on. Are you saying that the other (infertile I figured) 7 she laid, AFTER he passed, would still be fertile?
They are less likely to be fertile but still could be or maybe probably.

Oh my. Ok. I just pulled them out. I was afraid to move the ooths the first time, and I lost all but 5 nymphs from the first ooth. AckAck, horrifyingly, ate most. I then pulled out the others and most have hatched well.

One mating lasts a lifetime but the number of nymphs may drop in each ooth after 2 or so, which is why re-mating after a ooth or 2 is always good, to keep the hatchling count up.