How's this cricket breeding setup?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're welcome.

Twice a day. They start climbing the sides when they are hungry/thirsty.

We also feed them "Repashy Bug burger powder". It's finely ground, perfect for pinheads.

No, we don't spray them. They get their liquid from the squash.

Anytime! That's part of the fun in learning it all, is passing it on.

Thanks! I have to do more work on mind... also need taller containers... work in progress... I will post pics soon.. for analysis... LOL

I have limited space... and I want more mantid!

I tried breeding my own crickets a while back but I gave up because it just wasn't worth it. Might I suggest breeding roaches instead? Specifically Blaptica dubia, in your case. The biggest difference between them and crickets is that they're a much better food source (healthier, more protein, etc.) and they won't munch on your animals. From a keeper standpoint, they don't make noise, can't climb plastic or glass and most importantly they won't stink up the place, at least not nearly as much as crickets. I've been breeding them for years, ever since I learned about them. I've rarely ever bought crickets from the store after I had them and when I did it was just to add variety. I had a lot of animals (mostly reptiles) to feed so it was very cost effective, I actually ended up breeding more roaches than could be fed out so I had started selling the extras instead of just throwing them away. I think it's safe to say all herp keepers agree that dubias are better than crickets, at least all of the many, many keepers I've encountered. But again, variety is key. Care for them is pretty simple, in my case just a vented bin, egg cartons, water gel and repashy bug burger along with fruits, vegetables and whatever else food I throw in. A heater isn't necessary but they will breed faster at higher temperatures.

Latest posts