Huge cage

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oustaletsguy

Reaction score
My 175 gal reptarium for my chinese mantid. The plants are schefflera, hibiscus, vines and ropes. I have a homemade fogger and mistking. Lights are on a timer. 2 reptisun 5.0. 1 super uvb exo terra cfl. Humidity is about 50-90%. Im feeding him meal worms and crickets. I counted 10 abdominal sections.

post-8017-0-37414700-1408753823_thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wow that is one pampered mantis! Be careful with huge cages though it will be very hard for him to find food unless you are hand feeding him. the fogger is not necessary unless your house is bone-dry (or its just for looks), spraying is enough. they also don't need lighting if you keep them near a window. I think they do not benefit from uv lighting, either. cool cage though!

wow that is one pampered mantis! Be careful with huge cages though it will be very hard for him to find food unless you are hand feeding him. the fogger is not necessary unless your house is bone-dry (or its just for looks), spraying is enough. they also don't need lighting if you keep them near a window. I think they do not benefit from uv lighting, either. cool cage though!
The lighting is for the plants.. and he is pretty easy to find because he is 4-5 inches long.

LOL!!! and the community told me a 10 gallon tank was overkill?!

Hahaha, hey I like it though! The bigger the better :D

The tiny segments count, you can actually judge the sex by the absence or presence or the tiny segment if you're experienced with it. Males have it, females don't. You need to count on the underside of the abdomen. A common mistake is to count from the top, and they all look like they have the same amount of segments from the top.

Absolutely awesome! 4-5 inches, that sounds more like a female.
They don't get that big and males are often as long if not longer than the females.

This reminds me of the colony of Egyptian mantids I had once.

Latest posts