Huge die-out

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chessiegirl

Reaction score
Bah. I know I have been warned about this with Chinese mantids, but it doesn't make it any less despressing. I started out with over 200 nymphs, 4 weeks ago on Thursday. I now have about 35. Most of them are now L2, but there are still quite a few who haven't even molted yet (still in L1). Are those ones going to die if they haven't molted by now?

Should I start separating them into their own spaces, to give them more of a chance? It sucks; I have been feeding them, keeping their large enclosure tidy and have been misting daily. At this rate, I feel like maybe I won't even end up with one adult. Sigh.

Reassurance, anyone? Maybe some tips to help curb some of the deaths?

Thanks

Caitlin

I've experienced the same and it's sad. After 4 weeks, I think the L1s are just going to die. I'd just leave them together so the L2s can eat the L1s. But don't worry, you'll probably find a couple strong ones who just won't die!

It happens especially with those. Sounds about typical with the amount you have left. I leave them all together until I only have 10 or so left and that applies to all species. It's a good thing actually because trying to care for hundreds of smal mantids individually is not practical.

Thank you OGIGA and Rick, at least it is somewhat reassuring to hear that that number is about right. Hopefully I do end up with at least one or two! It sucks to watch the poor little guys just keep dying!

I appreciate the input and advice!

I would say that you are spraying them too regularly. Once every 3 days is sufficient. Do they have good ventilation ? This is very important.

Rob.

I mist most days during the winter when the air is very dry. I have more problems when I don't.

Latest posts