Human illness. LOL

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancaster1313

Likebugs (site changed my name😐)
Reaction score
My kid is in her first year of school and has had quite a few human viruses. I have been warned by other parents that kids get sick alot when they start school or daycare. <_<

So anyways my dad called and asked how everybody is doing and I told him that Estelle is sick again. I get a response that is so ignorant, that I am at a loss for words. "It is those bugs that are making her sick." :angry:

My kid doesn't even get those stomach illnesses that everyone else complains about, never has. Not so much as a squirt. :rolleyes:

I know that people can get salmonella from all kinds of creatures, but I am sure that my creatures have been contained, and only eat what I give them, I never feed them raw foul or mammal meat anyway. B)

Does anyone know of some documentation that states that insects don't go around giving people colds and flu. :lol: I don't bring my bugs all over the place and have only let a few people touch them anyway, not that it is hard to keep people away from them. :rolleyes:

I am not even going to ask if bugs are making my kid sick, as I am sure it is nonsense. I am just a bit angry that it has been mentioned to me, and need to vent. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's not a good thing when your father tells you that you are a bad mother. It's B.S. of course. "Cold" and 'flu' viruses are transmitted in droplets of mucus from the lungs -- have you ever seen a mantis sneeze? Me neither, perhaps because it doesn't have lungs or a nose. Tell your dad that you are buying Mantis Masks for all of your mantids.

Is your dad over sixty? Their brains begin to rot at about that age. That's why so many politicians carry on into their sixties and beyond, when honest men have retired. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
tsk tsk! I know just how ya feel, but thats what parents do, when yours are grown and they tell u the grandbabies are sick, u will say, it's because I let you play with my bugs when u were little! :lol: or something close to it! I do it to my kids too, my cowboy is 37 and just the other day, I told him to go to doctor instead of buying me a gun for mothers day! what goods a gun, I ask if your not here to shoot? :p

You can't change everybody (nobody really) just take it with a grain of salt, and maybe say, yes Dad I'll think on that....(but in your head you say "you old fart, shut it!" :tt2: :lol:

Yeah, it's not a good thing when your father tells you that you are a bad mother. It's B.S. of course. "Cold" and 'flu' viruses are transmitted in droplets of mucus from the lungs -- have you ever seen a mantis sneeze? Me neither, perhaps because it doesn't have lungs or a nose. Tell your dad that you are buying Mantis Masks for all of your mantids.

Is your dad over sixty? Their brains begin to rot at about that age. That's why so many politicians carry on into their sixties and beyond, when honest men have retired. :lol:
My dad turned 70 in February :lol: I think he is just as concerned about the other insects that I keep: various spoiled roach species, and many more that I won't write a book about at the moment. :rolleyes:

The only thing he doesn't seem to have a problem with, is spiders (I realize they are arachnids), but that is something that has been passed down from his parents. "Didn't you know that spiders in the house are good luck" :lol: "But not in containers."

I keep both free and contained spiders. :D

haha, yea! shut your pie hole! :tt2: that's telling him! :rolleyes:
No, I didn't tell him to "shut it", but I did say, "Oh Darn!, someone must have snuck in my house and infected my cultures with human illness, while I wasn't watching, and now They are passing colds to my kid". :rolleyes:

My father is very verbally negative, and sometimes responds well to a little sarcasm. I am not sure if it worked this time. :unsure:

No, I didn't tell him to "shut it", but I did say, "Oh Darn!, someone must have snuck in my house and infected my cultures with human illness, while I wasn't watching, and now They are passing colds to my kid". :rolleyes:

My father is very verbally negative, and sometimes responds well to a little sarcasm. I am not sure if it worked this time. :unsure:
Ahhh, sorry your dad's negativity is coming out that way. You might try searching for first years of school or illnesses or something, doubt there is anythign on bugs Not causing illnesses. I was freaking out about how often my daughter was sick during her first years of school and my doctors just kept telling me it is normal. If you are seriously concerned, you could maybe have your doctor write something? Your dad may just be giving you grief and not really mean anything by it.

My dad thinks the creatures are weird, but luckily ignores it. My issue is that he is getting more prejudiced (against different people) as he gets older, which makes me sad. So needless to be hateful about anyone.

Wyethia

When I was a kid, my father blamed me for a sub-terranean termite infestation because I started a few colonies in test tubes, aquariums, and ant farms. There was one dry wood termite colony that I kept from a disposed chair from school. :lol:

It's only the stuff that parents know about that make them mad...

Well K I see we have something to hold against you now! :p

BTW, my hubby does blame the flies on everything that happens here! I just remembered that, maybe him and dad are related :rolleyes:

I think it is kind of funny that there seem to be more bugs running around loose in my parent's house, than in all my containers. :lol:

They tend to leave the doors open, and leave food out for a long time. <_< I go to help them out on the weekends and I will be trying to throw stuff out,(like roast beef sandwich, or a glass of milk) that has been sitting there ALL day, and they are like, "No, that is still good!" :eek: Well, I guess it is not my stomach that has to process THAT. :rolleyes:

I think older people have better immune systems, because they weren't brought up so "clean" and have built up natural immunities to a lot of the things that make the "clean" people sick. Just my thought, but I may be totally off.

Just an update: My dad called again and told me that he wasn't serious about the bugs making my kid sick. :mellow: Here I was all upset over it. :blush: I guess I have strong feelings when it comes to my bugs.

Latest posts