Humbertiella ceylonica

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you!

Oothes are very easy to incubate.I just forgot 3 of them and lost more than a hundred nymphs.But I have 15 oothes so it should be fine.

They are very communal.But extremely fragile as first instars.Within the hours following the hatching you have to give them the required conditions or they just die.

Within the hours following the hatching you have to give them the required conditions or they just die.
What would you consider the "required conditions"? I hatched mine from an ooth and did lose many at L1. I believe it was due to not feeding springtails and later not enough ventilation. They require very high humidity as well.

All right then.

First of all fresh nymphs need to drink.They will not calm down until they get their drop of water.

Then they have to hide.I use sheets of cork or paper towel for a good grip.They can climb on plastic or glass but some walls must be added to the terra (because they sometimes molt in a vertical position).Last thing; food!I put a fresh fruitflies culture(or springtails) inside the terra and seal it with damp paper towel to keep humidity level high(around 70-80%) and to avoid fruitflies from escaping.

I have noticed that Humbertiella are acting like flies with light,running everywhere when the light is on and calming down in the shadow.So I raise them in dusk light conditions.No direct light until they are adult.

Temperature around 27°C-30°C.

I think this is it. :cowboy:

I think this is it. :cowboy:
I also used cork roll. It's pretty handy. I use natural bark too.

They do like to hide when they're young. I believe they get stressed out if they aren't given enough space. Even though they are communal they don't like to be on top of each other. They don't seem to mind so much at sub and adult. I think I lost most of mine due to stress.

But, I should have ooths before too long. They are a cute, low maintenance species once you meet their requirements.

I had these, but I can't really get into the small (tiny) species. So they were under appreciated. :-(

I raised a lot of them in a netcube, with very few hiding places (almost none). If they were stressed, they got over it.

The net cube made them easy to humidify, feed and count. And see any threats coming their way. Maybe not the best for molting, though.

If you get these - be warned - they are CRAZY-fast!!!

Nice! I still have get my footage posted. No ooths from mine yet but the females are nice and plump.

You should watch it in slow motion.It is really interesting.They make a micro jump just before catching preys,they almost never miss their target.I love them!

Round 10 was one of the best speed displays I've seen! Blink and you miss it (the strike of a preying mantis has been recorded as twice as fast as a human blink.)

So do I absolutely need springtails, or are melanogasters okay?

How do you take the lid off to feed them. Seems difficult to catch them.

Latest posts