Humbertiella sp.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeesKnees

Reaction score
Back in February, I had come across the glimpse of a mantis on the trunk of an old rubber tree. It was in my sights for about a fraction of a second before it darted off, never to be seen again.

Cut to yesterday; I finally decided to go out an find myself one of these elusive mantises. I scoured an old rubber plantation, and within half an hour, I'd bagged myself two specimens: one healthy adult female, and one...less healthy subadult female.
When I caught the subadult, I didn't noticed she'd endured a molting mishap some time before I found her. One of her legs was still stuck in the old (now quite weathered) shed skin--and the other leg on the same side doesn't display a full range of motion.
I helped free her of the large, unweildy chunk of shedskin that she'd been dragging around, but with two bum legs on the same side...I don't have high hopes that she'll have a successful molt into adulthood...
buuut, we'll try our best.

These girls are wonderful! I think north america has a similar looking species: Gonatista grisea? Well, here are the S.E Asian counterparts;some manner of Humbertiella sp.:

tumblr_nf4aodCRKk1tkp6iao2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nf4aodCRKk1tkp6iao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nf4c0hVl2z1tkp6iao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nf4c0hVl2z1tkp6iao2_1280.jpg

A beeeautiful species, with the adult female sizing in at around 1.5".
I hope the subadult makes it :< She's too lovely to die...

If I find that feeding isn't a problem with this species, I might go out and fetch myself a proper pair. Despite being extremely hard to spot, they're a fun challenge to catch (they're extreeeemely fast, with almost cockroach-like movement patterns)! It's to rewarding to even spot one!

I don't know how common this species is to find in the western trade, so I hope you guys enjoy these quick little shots! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome find :D Yes, the North American equivalent is indeed Gonatista grisea. They are extremely roach like and super fast as you saw first-hand. They'll pretty much go for any prey item, but prefer roaches and BBs (when adult or older instars) as younger instars they'll prefer wingless D mels. as they will pretty small nymphs when L1 and the d mels are easy for them to eat. "Standard" enclosures dont tend to be the best for Bark mantid species, so I fashioned a realistic enclosure that proved successful when I raised G grisea. Ill try and find a link for it, however in the mean time feel free to PM me and questions you may have.

Cheers,

Andrew

aayyyy my crippled subadult molted successfully! This was the first time I've been able to observe a mantis regenerate a limb, too. It's rather incredible how they basically regenerate the whole limb in a single molt--it's just slightly smaller than the other legs, but fully formed and functioning, with a foot and everything! All from--nothing! The entire leg had fallen off, right from the base. Where did she pack the replacement?? Astounding.

I'm glad her molt went well, because she is a beeeauuutiful creature:

tumblr_ngeg2hQLs91tkp6iao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ngeg2hQLs91tkp6iao3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ngeg2hQLs91tkp6iao2_1280.jpg

I love photographing her. Her details are beyond words.