humid cultures

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadInTheBasement

Reaction score
all of my cultures are very humid and it makes tapping the flies out very difficult i use those 35 oz cups with ventilated lids....anyone else have this problem or know how to prevent it?

What do you mean humid? I raise mine in the same containers. Do you mean there is water on the sides of the container? If so I would suggest adding less water. Or they may be too warm.

If it gets too wet or liquidy, you can add potato flakes. The only problem with that is that you might get potato flakes coming out with the flies.

mins at 75f and its thriving. :) like i red on Orins thread if u make the mixture to runnie u end up with a thing layer of water after a day or 2..sounds like u made the culture to runnie?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let the media dry out for a few days. You added too much water. Too wet, the maggots will drown and too dry they will not be able to burrow through it.

Roll up some paper towell or coffee filters and stick it down into the mix. The wicking action will draw the excess moisture up out of the media. Cotton balls work well too.

Latest posts