Hydei culturing difficult compared to Melanogaster

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
We have no troubles culturing Melanogasters for our hungry brood - Hydei are a different story however. We have had very limited success making thriving cultures of Hydei - ours have been sparsely populated at best. I wonder why this is.

Anyways, what can be done differently when culturing Hydei to ensure a good hatch?

~Arkanis

:lol: You should look at my other thread!:

D. hydei - Age of flies seems to affect start of culture, (production time)

Basically, it is very important to not take the flies when your current cultures are already running out. The male flies from such a culture will be sexually immature and you will be waiting an extra week or so.

It also seems that flies that are about 2 weeks old are best.

You should also make sure there are enough flies to get the production you want.

Good luck, and let me know if you need some to re-start your cultures.

I've noticed the same thing over the years. The bigger flies seem to take longer to produce.

Thanks - i will reread those links. I am thinking that perhaps they just don't like the culture medium we use or something.
What mix are you using? I find that I have to add a little water when the humidity drops and the cultures dry a little. Just a little at a time so the maggots and flies don't drown or get stuck while the media absorbs the moisture.

I started some Hydei jan 25, and there is very little activity in them, but when I bought the original culture it seemed like the one's in it died, and I saw maggots so I left it. About 2 weeks later it was teeming with flies, so it does take more time than the mels do.

My 0125 cultures are not showing maggots or flies hardly, so I'll see how these work out. They do seem to dry faster than the same media in the mel cultures did though, and I find that odd, since it's basically the same media.

I figure in another week or two I'll see how well I did. Bet your's just takes more time also.

What mix are you using? I find that I have to add a little water when the humidity drops and the cultures dry a little. Just a little at a time so the maggots and flies don't drown or get stuck while the media absorbs the moisture.
We are using culture mix which includes:

1) apple sauce

2) Masa

3) Vinegar

4) Honey

5) yeast sprinkle

We are using culture mix which includes:1) apple sauce

2) Masa

3) Vinegar

4) Honey

5) yeast sprinkle
So the Mikhail/Rebecca mix...I'm using mostly the same mix. Just smaller proportions for a 4 oz. apple sauce cup - it's what my wife buys.

4oz Apple sauce

1 1/2 masa

1/2 Tbs Vinegar

Squirt of honey

very small sprinkle of yeast.

sliver of old apple (I've cut one up and let it dry in the fridge - keeps pretty well uncovered)

One pot I threw in a scoop of mashed potato and it seems to hold the moisture better.

The mix starts out pretty wet, but most of the excess gets wicked out by the filters or cardboard.

Anyway, I think it might just be the age of the flies giving you problems...unless the media is also getting too dry since the humidity has been low lately.

Latest posts