Hymenopus consolidated

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcal

Reaction score
Just like the other threads. Any tips, advice, or experiences will be most helpful.

I got ten of these beauties after searching for some time.

My current setup:

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=23617

Seems over kill for some but all of my nymphs have been growing beautifully with no deaths, miss molts, or health problems to date.

A few personal photos. Please add more.

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=23921

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=23959

I can't wait to start pairing for breeding. And will try to keep records in this thread.

I have been keeping mine between 72 and 77 degrees. Molting time has been around 18 days at these temps. Out of the 15 I got, I have lost 2 to mismolts, but after switching from jars with screen lids that weren't great at holding in humidity to fruit fly culture cups with filter lids I haven't lost any more after two molts. They seem very reluctant to take prey from the ground, and equally reluctant to move to prey items.

All observed moltings for me have occurred in the late afternoon/early evening. Though plenty of molting options are available, invariably they hang from the lid of their enclosure. At L4 I have begun offeri g houseflies, which they have no issues taking down. They still enjoy hydei as a nice mcnugget type snack.

I try to use the cloth lids for all my mantids, they just offer much better grip in general, and esp. for moulting.

Keep the info comin'! Looks like I may have finally gotten my hands on a pair. Do they prefer flying foods most of their life?

Only flying foods.

Cloth lids are the best bet. All of my molts have happened on lids.

Mine gladly go between house flies and hydei. Mine were skittish at house flies at l2. Didn't warm up to them until they got bigger.

I believe we did. I am only offerings bluebottles to my biggest females. They are eating a couple a day. The others prefer house flies. I kept finding blue bottles in the bottom of the cages but they would snap house flies in a heartbeat.

Edit.

The reason for the different feeding between mine and yours is because I swapped with a other forum member to mix bloodlines. Theirs was hatched later than yens. I just remembered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do offer mine mealworms now and then as a treat. I like to get my mantids taking mealworms so that I can use them for emergency food if I run out of flies.

I would be feeding mine moths and bees if there were any! But it's too cold here. My last adult female preferred moths and bees over bb flies.

I have been feeding bees as I find them. I might pick up some meal worms today. Good idea. I

am on a fly shortage until the pupae hatch.

I do offer mine mealworms now and then as a treat. I like to get my mantids taking mealworms so that I can use them for emergency food if I run out of flies.

I would be feeding mine moths and bees if there were any! But it's too cold here. My last adult female preferred moths and bees over bb flies.
I used wax moths for a while when I had a shortage of flies for a couple days. It took a long time to get them pupated, but the bugs really enjoyed them! Even Mr. Idolo.

When I was short of flies, I used to turn on a bright light outside at night and put a white cloth under the light and that would attract lots of moths. Of course, that was in the summer...

More females molting today!! I think they are trying to catch up to the boys!

Eager girls ;)

Latest posts