Hymenopus coronatus color change

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelle

Reaction score
Hi,

At the moment I have 2 adult Hymenopus couples, and one of the females was very pink and the other had no pink at all.

A week ago I switched the enclosures so I could focus on mating of the white one.

The pink one was 6 weeks adult and the white one was 4 weeks adult.

But the one that was pink turned white and the white one has a lot of pink now.

Here is shown how I switched the enclosures

dscf8757bh5.jpg

And here are some pictures how they were

dscf8589rc9.jpg

Pink one

dscf8544lw3.jpg

White one

dscf8547dg9.jpg

And these are the pictures I took today

Same setup

dscf8747ap1.jpg

The one that used to be pink

dscf8756vc7.jpg

The one that used to be white

dscf8755kf0.jpg

dscf8754lp6.jpg

So I was wondering if it's just a coincidence or ? Because I only swtiched the enclosures.

Temperature/humidity and light don't change very much in my opinion.

And yes, I'm 100% sure I'm not mixing the two up :p

Anyone got an idea ?

im stumped, thats amazing! i always thought mantids could only change colour from moult to moult. like i said, i have no idea :huh:

Love the pink. Mine were always white.

Hmm, that's very interesting. Can you give us more details about the enclosures they were in? You know, where the light was, where the air is, where everything is inside it and around it...

Well, they are able to change to match their enviroment! If you think about it, they exist amoung the Orchids and blend right in with the flowers. I put mine in containers with all green, pinks, white and red flowers and they are very either pink, or white, every now and then I get yellow.

Hmm, that's very interesting. Can you give us more details about the enclosures they were in? You know, where the light was, where the air is, where everything is inside it and around it...
Well, they are standing in this

dscf5701jr5.jpg

On the right is a window, but I never have natural light from it inside my room , because with al the lamps it is bright enough :p

The enclosures are the square boxes, with ventilation from above as you can see.

And ventilation from the side, although the enclosure with the one that used to be white has no ventilation from the side.

They are standing on the second shelve counting from the bottem.

Each enclosure has one brown twig inside, because they are on the lid mostly..

Around it are more enclosures and a white wall.

I could switch them again and see what happens ? :)

@ hibiscusmile

So it's just normal ? I haven't read anything about it ever before with this species though.

Well, they are able to change to match their enviroment! If you think about it, they exist amoung the Orchids and blend right in with the flowers. I put mine in containers with all green, pinks, white and red flowers and they are very either pink, or white, every now and then I get yellow.
Ooooo.... So they are like chameleons? BTW, Pelle, did you change the plants in the containers?

And ventilation from the side, although the enclosure with the one that used to be white has no ventilation from the side.They are standing on the second shelve counting from the bottem.
This is what I was expecting you to say ;) They tend to go pink when exposed to higher humidity.

This is what I was expecting you to say ;) They tend to go pink when exposed to higher humidity.
Well, I quess you are right about that.

It's just that I didn't switch the mantids in the enclosures, but the whole enclosure+mantids.

So as far as I now the humidity didn't really change inside the enclosure, because they didn't get more or less ventilation.

my experience is that it is way more complex than just humidity... Both my females came from the same clutch and were kep in identical conditions. One was snow white till she molted to adult and then she got some brown spots on her leg lobes,,, wheras the other one amazingly started turning pink on her arms and legs while subadult, and then the rest of her body turned greenish yellow. It was so wierd, but even wierder was that after all that color change, when she molted to adult she was white again. There are too many unknown variables involved to simply tag this phenomenon as based on humidity alone.

In the attached fotos you can see how she began to turn pink and then the strange creamy green color that she ended up before molting. The shot of the adult is her sister taken on the same day as a comparison.

P1012670.JPG

P1012644.JPG

P1012676.JPG

@ Darkspeed

Nice colors:) When they where subadult they were also kept in the same condition, but they weren't both white..

Hmm, I can't seem to figure out which one. Is the the second shelf that we can see clearly or the second shelf that there is?
This one ;)

shelfmy9.jpg

Oh wow, I can't believe you spent the time to make it red just so that I/we can see. It's the two cubes on the right, right? Looks pretty much the same to me. I wonder why their color changed.

My subadult female H. coronatus was pure white up until about a month ago. Then she turned bright pink all over. After she shed her skin, she was mostly white again, with only faint touches of pink on her leg lobes. Now she is starting to turn more pink again. Out of the six orchid mantises I have kept, she is the only one that has turned pink. The others, which are all male, are all white and they are kept in the exact same conditions.

Aiko

Oh wow, I can't believe you spent the time to make it red just so that I/we can see. It's the two cubes on the right, right? Looks pretty much the same to me. I wonder why their color changed.
Didn't took very much time, and I like photoshop:)

Yes, but the set-up is different then in that picture, it's like the first picture of this topic.