Hymenopus coronatus color change

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My giant asian is still a nymph, and hasn't molted her first time, but since I have had her, she has been slowly changing from borwn to green. First her arms turned green, then her back started to change in little stripes, and now she is mostly green. I think it is because I put a green plant in her cage a few days after I got her.

As I wrote many, many, many times :rolleyes: , any color change acts on population level. A sample size of 2 doesn't have any value. As such, it is pure coincidence.

On the other hand, humidity alone may be misleading. The window may be important in this regard because of the natural light spectrum it offers. By switching the enclosures you also switched the amount of natural light, even if just faint and indirect, that reaches the two boxes. The difference may (bust doesn't necessarily have to) account for the difference. To draw any conclusions whatsoever, you need a larger sample size and en environment that can be better controlled for other factors.

I don't have any pink ones, but when my two adult females first molted into adults they were pure white. Now they both have a yellow tint.

It may be ligthing, or humdity, but we won't know until someone does a case study, and there aren't enough orchids to pull it off, unless someone gets a surplus.