Hypothetical Ooth tips

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdawg

Reaction score
If You happen to get a surprise ooth, how to you guys deal with the influx of mantids? Do you just need one suitable large tank for them all to live in until they are rehoused when they molt? Or even give to a local pet store or enthusiasts nearby?

You can keep newly hatched mantis together until L3 depending on the species. I wouldn’t give them to a pet store as I would fear mistreatment. If somebody sends a surprise ooth to you that you can’t take care of, contact them about it. 

You can keep newly hatched mantis together until L3 depending on the species. I wouldn’t give them to a pet store as I would fear mistreatment. If somebody sends a surprise ooth to you that you can’t take care of, contact them about it. 
I meant if you get an ooth from the mantids, or more than anticipated. Main point was the keeping of them once they hatch, so my guys could live together until they molt?

Well if you can’t take care of babies then don’t mate the mantis... pretty simple lol. They can live together for a couple of molts. A net cage would be best imo

Well if you can’t take care of babies then don’t mate the mantis... pretty simple lol. They can live together for a couple of molts. A net cage would be best imo
Firstly, I think you've misunderstood. I'm learning how to take care of my first 2 I just got, I'm not talking about getting any more, or egg sacs, not for a long time anyway, I'm simply asking hypothetically how people look after the potentially hundreds of hatchlings when they arrive. I imagine if they needed to be rehoused individually right away, that would be a major pain. 

Secondly, they're babies, so there's no chance of them mating, they aren't even kept together, I didn't want them to eat each other. I was told never to keep them together, but there are so many conflicting sources of information for beginners like myself especially. That's why I was  asking, simply to learn about how it all works. 

I was looking at the net cages, but I have a cat and I'd prefer a more secure setting for the mantids otherwise they would be eaten. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize that you were not talking about yourself. I’m saying that if people mate and keep ootheca then they should be prepared to take care of all of them

Like I said previously they don’t need to be rehoused right away. If they are well fed they can live together for a few molts; after that they need separated. If people have too many they usually sell them or give them away.

At L2 Your miomantis could live together but there is no point to take the risk, just keep them separate.

My net cages are sturdy enough that there is no way a cat could break through. I mean they could if they chewed for a straight few hours, but their attention span is long gone by then. 

But if you feel that net cages are too risky then just use any big container... idk

I realize that you were not talking about yourself. I’m saying that if people mate and keep ootheca then they should be prepared to take care of all of them

Like I said previously they don’t need to be rehoused right away. If they are well fed they can live together for a few molts; after that they need separated. If people have too many they usually sell them or give them away.

At L2 Your miomantis could live together but there is no point to take the risk, just keep them separate.

My net cages are sturdy enough that there is no way a cat could break through. I mean they could if they chewed for a straight few hours, but their attention span is long gone by then. 

But if you feel that net cages are too risky then just use any big container... idk
My bad. I didn't know mesh cages were so strong, can you send an Amazon link so I can check out the sturdy ones you mentioned please?

I wouldn't mind breeding them when I'm experienced, I think it would be really cool to see them hatch, but if I got a few hundred I'd not have enough room for them all. Miomantis Paykullii have a huge yield per ooth? 

Should be big enough for any hatch. I would separate my nymphs at L2 so they should be able to survive together in a 12inx12in cube for those 2 weeks.

Should be big enough for any hatch. I would separate my nymphs at L2 so they should be able to survive together in a 12inx12in cube for those 2 weeks.
That's pretty awesome.y guys are l2, so they should be molting within a week or 2 I imagine. It's every couple of weeks as a nymph isn't it?

Latest posts