Hysteresis' Mantis Stream - 2019

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long should let this little dummy play "horsey"? 🙄

Its been hours since he climbed on. He actively chased after her and climbed on. While I did sleep a few hours and he's been on there for hours, I have not witnessed a connection. 

20190520_060116.jpg

Dude doesn't seem to be in any hurry. Should I leave them like this? Temps are 70 and humidity around 60pct with a humidifier. I don't see any of that famous drumming. 

20190520_105602.jpg

It's your choice. Risk your male and leave him on, or take him off, separate them for a day, and try again. The latter may give you more success, but it doesn't much matter what you choose.

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator:
It's your choice. Risk your male and leave him on, or take him off, separate them for a day, and try again. The latter may give you more success, but it doesn't much matter what you choose.

- MantisGirl13
I could give him a break. Feed her up. The other dude is warming. Maybe see if he knows what to do? That's the smaller, older female. 

The way this guy tracked her I figured he'd go for it. 

So far no loss (other than poor sleep), and experience gained. 

I could give him a break. Feed her up. The other dude is warming. Maybe see if he knows what to do? That's the smaller, older female. 

The way this guy tracked her I figured he'd go for it. 

So far no loss (other than poor sleep), and experience gained. 
That sounds good! As long as the female is being docile, you might as well try her with your other male. 

- MantisGirl13

I'm blown away. Yup. 

He's still connected so I can't intervene. 

He'll disconnect on his own? Will it take long? He's been plugged for a good hour. 
Just be patient. It could take a few hours, and the longer they are connected the larger your chance of fertile ooths is. It's probably safe to leave them be for a while if you don't want to watch them until they are done.

- MantisGirl13

Just be patient. It could take a few hours, and the longer they are connected the larger your chance of fertile ooths is. It's probably safe to leave them be for a while if you don't want to watch them until they are done.

- MantisGirl13
I've been feeding her all along so I think he's safe. Hopefully. 

Peeled him off her after he disconnected. Little guy seemed afraid. With good reason! Maybe I should've let him hop off on his own. Seems no worse for the wear though.

So, next question... do orchids like vertical sticks, or horizontal sticks for producing oothecae?

I'd best get the glue gun and mod a bin for ooth production then. I have 1/4" dowel on-hand. 
A 1/4 inch dowel might be too thin. Get your boys to go find some sticks in the yard!

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator: