I am a ghost mantis pimp! they did the deed

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
I never thought being a 'mantis pimp' would be so difficult. How long do the mantids need to be uhm, 'joined' for fertilization to occur? I think mine were together for at least an hour or two, but not sure - I gave them 'alone time' once I saw his whodilly was linked to her chacha, came back a few hours later and he was on the top of the enclosure waiting for an emergency evac while she was hanging out below.

I can put the two back together if necessary later, but he was really difficult to get to go with the program - we're talking seduction at the urkel level here. Several times he would climb onboard (and she was occupied with a moth or cricket) and she would look at him and he would hop off her back and hit the road. One time he climbed on her with his butt against her head and wouldn't rotate no matter what. I kept telling him it was ok, we WANT her to get pregnant, but he wasn't listening... :)

Anyways, she's 2 weeks into maturity, he's 3, they just did it, I'm looking at a few weeks before she starts popping out ooths, right? Do I need anything there (extra branches) for her to put em on, or anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

When they mate has no bearing on when ooths will be laid. A few weeks at least from the time she is adult you should start looking. Connection time can depend on the species. Some say that fertilization occurs within 30 mins or so, but most species stay connected for hours or even days. I can't remember what it usually is for these guys, but it won't hurt to mate them again in a few days to be sure.

Latest posts