I feel a little stupid

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolas

Reaction score
Knowing my two Heridulas, My adult male, being the jerk he is, decided to be a meanie toward nymphs that somehow got in his cage.

Two iris nymphs were in the hands of him, and he ate them like french fries.

I feel dumb because I don't know how they got in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this happening with Stagmomantis carolina this morning. Mom was still in the container when her ootheca hatched. I keep telling myself that I won't let that happen, but then I always end up waiting too long.

Eating french fries is exactly how I would describe what I saw this morning.

I had this happening with Stagmomantis carolina this morning. Mom was still in the container when her ootheca hatched. I keep telling myself that I won't let that happen, but then I always end up waiting too long.

Eating french fries is exactly how I would describe what I saw this morning.
The same thing happened to me yesterday. After telling myself I needed to move her out of there over and over, I finally decided "today is the day" walked over to her only to see her chowing down on the fruit of her own loins! Bad Momma!

The same thing happened to me yesterday. After telling myself I needed to move her out of there over and over, I finally decided "today is the day" walked over to her only to see her chowing down on the fruit of her own loins! Bad Momma!
I have had moms that didn't even try to eat the babies. One time, mom was laying an ooth when another hatched in with her. When she finished, she was frantically trying to escape the container, and a nymphh had become stuck in the still wet ootheca, it sunk right in and there was nothing I could do without risking 70 or so nymphs escaping. I took the container outside and lost a few nymphs when I rescued mom. She was so stressed and weak after the experience, that her early death a few days later was surely connected. She only laid 4 or 5 oothecae. I can't help but feel as if I am to blame for letting that happen to her. At least this mom was just chillin on the bottom and enjoying some fries. If she had just laid, I'm sure it would have been another bad experience. I would much rather mom eating babies to what happens when mom is already exausted when the things hatch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts