I finally found myself a "lady bug"

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABbuggin

Reaction score
Well, as it turns out, being really involved in insects (I've been loving/keeping them all my life, I work/volunteer at a museum in the insectarium/butterfly house, I've been breeding mantids for 3-4 years, etc.), turns out to be a pretty good way to deter girls my age. :rolleyes: Especially when most of the time I'm outside I'm running chasing insects with my butterfly net, while carrying a cage in the other hand, looking like a weirdo. :lol: Also, I always get uncomfortable being around kids my age (especially girls). I can be totally comfortable talking to a stranger if its a younger kid, or an adult. All my friends are either kids or adults (weird, I know). :rolleyes: My closest friend is actually the entomologist at the museum I work/volunteer at! (even weirder I know :lol: ) Being like this has made it very difficult to even have the courage to talk to girls my age, let alone actually having one that likes me. But all of that changed a few weeks ago. I finally found my "lady bug" :D She is actually the FIRST girl I feel comfortable being around with and talking too. She also doesn't "freak out" nearly as much as other girls do when I have one of my many insects with me. Just last week she wanted to hold some dragonflies that I had caught! She is a little squeamish (name one 17 year old girl who isn't lol) around insects, but I'll make sure to take care of that. I'm sure she would love to see where I work at the museum. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go!

I usually tell ladies when they visit that the mantids are bred for pheromones, and they have seconds before they take their clothes off and throw themselves on me.

Awesome ABbuggin! I know exactly what you mean, collecting insects doesn't come across to hot to the female crowd :D

Good to hear you've found someone similar, now the next nerdy step is to invite her to this forum. ;)

Awesome ABbuggin! I know exactly what you mean, collecting insects doesn't come across to hot to the female crowd :D Good to hear you've found someone similar, now the next nerdy step is to invite her to this forum. ;)
What makes it worse for me is I have some other "nerdy" hobbies. For ex. photography (of insects of course lol), pine wood derby cars, model rocketry, and my two real R/C cars (one goes 50mph+). Not to mention, I'm home schooled so I dont always see girls my age everyday. Because of all the reasons I've listed in both posts I've had it pretty tough being appealing to the female crowd. :rolleyes:

Actually, a few weeks ago I was shooting some model rockets off at my church's summer party ad she seemed pretty interested in them, so I let her shoot off my biggest one. Needless to say, she loved it and was quite happy (and surprised how loud, fast and high it went)! :D

We don't need all the details... :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL, just what I thought :D

It's fine mate, just remember, us nerds will rule the world one day.

nerd.jpg

abbuggin.gif

You look pretty nerdy to me. :D

No to be honest with you I don't think insect collecting is THAT nerdy, the true nerds are those who collect hornby trains (I mean really that's just ultimate anorakacy.. if that's even a word.)

In fact me wagwaan, lez lay this sheeyat down, there aint no TRUE nerds on dis board. ;)

I had a hornby trainset LOL :lol: . When I was little obviously.

I is well gangsta blud aniwayz. Uz get me?

Your mum is Vanessa Feltz anyway Ian. Hahaha

I was always the bug man as they called me when I was a kid. Once I hit about 15 all that was shelved as I found girls much more interesting than the bugs. Now sometimes I prefer the bugs more. Funny how some things happen.

Congratulations! Well, I can name 2 girls who love insects right now. Haha. And uhh, they even like hissing ###### roaches when I don't. :p

I was always the bug man as they called me when I was a kid. Once I hit about 15 all that was shelved as I found girls much more interesting than the bugs. Now sometimes I prefer the bugs more. Funny how some things happen.
I get called that all the time. Everybody at my church knows that I know my stuff about insects so people are always bringing me dead insects to identify and ask me all sorts of insect questions. :D I can look at the fact that my insects deter most girls as a good thing. Only girls that really like me for who I am will be interested in me! :lol: I just had to wait a few years for one to find me. :rolleyes: