I FINALLY MADE A SUCCESSFUL MOTH CULTURE!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmantissupply09

Reaction score
I am so excited!! Today I found that my moth culture produced nearly 60 adult moths and perhaps more are soon to hatch grow. I used old corn meal and a 32 oz deli cup w/ a vented lid. I will try to post a pic soon :) lmk what you think. Btw I will eventually start making more and more cultures and perhaps sell them in the future. :)

Congrats :D What species of moth are you culturing?

I have been trying to do the same but haven't had any luck finding moths online to get started, besides huge species. Of course if winter ever ends I'll hopefully be able to find some in the wild in nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats :D What species of moth are you culturing?

I have been trying to do the same but haven't had any luck finding moths online to get started, besides huge species. Of course if winter ever ends I'll hopefully be able to find some in the wild in nothing else.
Thanks! The species I'm culturing is Plodia interpunctella aka "The Indian Meal moth"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! The species I'm culturing is Plodia interpunctella aka "The Indian Meal moth"
A micromoth, with a wingspan of 0.6" or 16mm, at least what I found about it. Seems like it would be ideal for a hosuefly replacement perhaps, and without the odor of growing them :D Was this from some you captured last year or you bought somewhere?

Congrats...

However... Though this is perhaps a good replacement for big D. Hydei/small flies I would be VERY hesitant to culture them as one gravid female could cause years of trouble in the cupboards.

I've found grain moths to be an excellent source of food for my mantises, but I've never had to go through the trouble of trying to culture them. They frequently come with the grain-based foods that I purchase for my chickens and can be quite the pest at peak emergence times.